Used 1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Go anywhere, do anything.
By DBuck

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck used with over 100K on it; rebuilt engine and tranny. It's been a real workhorse. Love my truck. Hauls good, though not as well as a 'heavy duty'.

4WD. Snow, drifts, mud, etc. What's that? Got ya covered baby. Love the quad cab too. So much room!!

The gas mileage is the only real downer. A little slow, but, hey, it's big. Real damp weather gets to the plugs sometime, but not usually a problem.

Great Truck!!
By Vince

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The 1998 Dodge Ram is an exceptional truck. There is more than enough power and is a VERY comfortable ride except that the back seat could be a little better. So far the only problem that I have had with it is the U joint going bad on the right side.

My favorite feature of the truck is the great power. and easy to operate audio system.

More room in the back seat

5.2l ram 4x4
By josh roorda

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This has been a very good truck, very reliable. I haul building supplies etc. with it very often. I have a slide in camper. The truck seems to handle weight OK after air bags were installed. I find the steering to be poor and non responsive. Engine runs well and has adequate power, but fuel economy is much worse than expected.

The quad cab design is great

Fuel economy must be impoved, and steering could be impoved

Good All Around Truck
By Mopar Fan

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck for almost 2 years. It has 90k miles and giving it a tune up and changing fluids is the only thing I've ever had to do. It is very dependable and tows my 18ft fishing boat with ease. Very impressed with limited-slip rear end and engine torque. I can pull boat up very slippery ramps with little or no wheel spin and it's a 2W drive.

Overall craftsmanship. Seats and instruments inside have all held up great. Truck is very solid.

Definitely gas mileage. I can get around 15 around town being careful with the throttle, but that's part of having a truck that can also pull. (I have friends with small trucks with V6s and their mpg is about the same as mine.

98 Quad-Cab 4x4
By mfloyd

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new in Feb of 1998.I didnt order it because I needed a good reliable truck right then. My 85 Ford 4x4 was breaking down faster then I could keep up with it. So I bought my Dodge off the lot. The truck has preformed great. Very comfortable interior, great looking exterior. These trucks are like the vehicles of years gone by when you could tell the make and model from a 1/2 mile away. Now most vehicles all look the same. You have to walk up close to see the name badge to see what it is, but not the Dodge Ram. You can tell it's a Ram from a mile away

The instrument cluster is easy to see. All switches are within arm's reach. Very comfortable seats. Lots of room front and back. Very stylish front clip. I also like the solid front axle. The new 1500's have an independent front axle.

The springs on the 1500 see a bit weak for a truck and the front disc brakes are too small. Other then that I can't think of anything else and I used to be a mechanic, so I'm very picky.