Used 1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

1996 Ram SLT 4x4
By RamGuy

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

5.9L V8. Bought this truck at 113,000 now has 158,00. At 115,000 it needed O2 sensor (easy fix), then oil sender unit (a real pain to replace). Rear end starting making noise about 130,00 miles, bearings, $800. As Preventive Maintenance Precaution(s) (ain't broke yet, but it will be) between 125,000 - 150,000 replaced alternator, starter, water pump & hoses, fuel pump, ignition module. I've had all these completely fail on me with other vehicles tho, so I've learned my lesson. Some rust over the rear wheels, but extreme amounts of salt are used here (Nebraska). Lousy MPG, but the purchase price of this truck beat Chevys & Fords by $3000-5000.

Seats are huge, firm but comfortable. Center console is really handy. Large heater/AC controls. Even the back seat is comfortable for adults. All the advantages of driving a large & tall vehicle, I don't get cut off in traffic much. Handles well for a vehicle this size & weight.

Cupholders. Lousy MPG, that was my only holdback when buying this truck. Better heat when outside temp below 10F. Better/easier access to water pump, distributor, oil sender.

What would Lee Iacoca say?
By Rammed

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 LT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Returned it the day after purchase because the security system was installed improperly. Two weeks later it went back in because the transmission failed. A week after that it went back because the vehicle would lunge when cold - supposedly because of modification made by Chrylser to the program on the engine's chip. Anti- lock brakes locked up when stopping. 1,000 miles out of warranty, third gear "disappeared". Chrylser's engineer said the valve was designed to wear out at about that point (I have his testimony on tape) and said it would happen again.

The end of the lease.

If Chrylser were to go under tomorrow and the world was robbed of this company's shoddy workmanship, planned obsolesence, and arrogance, would we miss them?

Last dance with Dodge
By dodged

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 LT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought my Dodge 1500 with 82000 miles about 3 years ago. Since then I have replaced the rear end, replaced most of the front end, water pump,air conditioner and turn signal master switch and valve job. Where's the quality? I have always tried to buy American trucks but this is the last straw. I will never buy another American made car or truck.

None

Improve quality. Lower your price! Quit ripping off your customers.

A good work truck with power.
By joel

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

The truck has never left me stranded. I use it to move fire wood, shingles, wood, and rock a lot of times weighing about 1 ton and I really don't notice it. Engine wise it has the power to move anything I need it to.

4x4. Hard to ever get stuck even when fully loaded with supplies

Could have used a better transmission and a stronger steering box.

Won't buy anything but a Dodge again
By curtis

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Have owned a 1996 Dodge Ram 4x4 since it came off the mfr floor. It's sort of like the energizer bunny. 179,000 miles and counting. And I run it hard, haul stuff, get it stuck and pull people out with my winch. I won't sell it because I am emotionally attached.

It keeps going and going and going

Make a new model of same truck with little better mileage.