Used 2007 Dodge Nitro SUV Consumer Reviews - 192 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Dodge Nitro SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Nitro model:

Nice family SUV
By Gary

2007 Dodge Nitro SUV SXT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

It was a great car for 10 years, but like most domestic autos, when it ticked over 100K miles, rattles and bangs began and catastrophic failures accumulated rapidly. Alternator, transmission, brake calipers, differential, seat positioner, power window motors, and asundry smaller items all within 20K miles after we hit 100K. I need to be clear that my review stars are AFTER we hit the 100K mile marker. Before that, it was a great car for the family that I would recommend highly.

Worst car we've ever owned!
By Shell

2007 Dodge Nitro SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

The car was bought used 4-2017, the day after we bought it the battery light came on we went to have it diagnosed and they said either battery or alternator so we replaced both to be safe. About a wk later the smell of gas was so strong we hurried home and parked it. We called the dealer and he sent us to his mechanic the mechanic could find nothing wrong with it and said maybe we over filled it and said not to force gas into the tank when the pump stops don't try to round it off to the next dollar. Ok we did it and took a drive and it happened again, this time the smell was so horrible it was coming out of the vents with the ac. We had to ride with the windows open coming through the everglades at temps in the high 90's. The mechanic still can't find anything wrong with the car. The windshield wipers won't shut off once they've been turned, so now when you want to wash the windshield you have to continue your drive with the wipers intermittently coming on. The back passengers door wouldn't open, the key faub doesn't work unless you are standing next to the door pushing the button repeatedly. I usually give up and just unlock the door manually. The faub has a new battery and is still junk. The tailgate pistons have gone 2x on the passenger side in 4 months. I called to find out if the recalls have been taken care of I was told that they were all done. Oh and the directionals don't go down all the way when pressed so it takes a few times to get it to stay down to signal a turn. I absolutely despise this car and can't wait to get rid of it, it is officially the worst car I have ever owned. It's constant fixes, defects, quirks and unreliability are to much for anyone. If we want to go away for a couple of days we have to rent a car for fear of it dying on the side of the road or the ever present possibility of it catching fire since no-one can find the horrific gas smell that fills the car. B

High Explosive Nitro
By Kevin V

2007 Dodge Nitro SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the Nitro new in 2006 because Jeep stopped making the Cherokee and we didn't like the looks of the old-style Liberty. The Nitro shared many of the internal components of the Liberty so we decided to try it out. What a great vehicle! We hunt, fish and do a lot of outdoor activities and the Nitro has been more than up to the tasks! It hauls boats, kayaks, gear and the family without any issues. The reliability has been great and all we had to do was routine maintenance up until last year when the front hubs and AC went out at 170k. My one issue was the low ground clearance and no low-4wd but I installed a 2" lift and taller tires and fixed the first issue.

Worst vehicle I have ever bought!
By Jeff

2007 Dodge Nitro SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2007 Nitro SLT 4x4 used with 72,500 miles. Paid more than i cared to, but the styling and features sold me on it. Had it for five days and went out to get something out of it and my keyless entry would not work. Manually unlocked the doors to find that all the lights on the dash were on and as soon as i opened the door, my wipers went crazy, my sunroof opened on its own, and none of the interior buttons would work at all. Finally got it started and check engine light stayed on. All recall work had already been done at my local Dodge dealership and thankfully the dealer i purchased from is covering the cost of repair. Needless to say, as soon as I get it back, it will be traded in on something better with less plastic and no crazy electrical failure.

Dodge nitro is great!
By M Belen COLLINS

2007 Dodge Nitro SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

It's roomy, smooth and has a very nice look. Lots of room and not an oversized SUV. Six cylinder is nice on gas vs SUV's with 8. Still love the car 4 months later. If you're sitting around giving thumbs down to reviews, maybe you should find another hobby - get out and live! I've been enjoying the outdoors and that is how you live!