Used 2007 Dodge Nitro Consumer Reviews - 191 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Dodge Nitro

View reviews for a specific Nitro model:

Engine noise requires ear plugs
By Bob

2007 Dodge Nitro SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I own an SLT with the 4.0 engine. It emits tremendous engine noise (sounds like piston slap) under light to heavy loads. Per dealer and factory this is normal for this engine. It is totally not acceptable for comfortable driving. In June the factory rep. stated there would be a fix by way of a service bulletin but this has never occurred. All other facets of the vehicle have been very acceptable.

Looks, power and economy (18-21).

Just cure the engine noise in the 4.0 engine.

Work vehicle
By Kevin

2007 Dodge Nitro SXT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

My company bought a Nitro SXT 4x4 as a work vehicle for me that had a decent amount of cargo space, easily parked in NYC, had 4 wheel drive, and was relatively inexpensive. The lifetime powertrain warranty was another big plus. I've had a few minor problems with it including a collapsed driver's seat and cracked roof rail, but aside from that and taking care of the recalls, it's been 17 relatively trouble free months and 35,000 miles. Despite handling that's not so confidence inspiring, it's comfortable, does extremely well in the snow, looks great, and performs well for the money.

Exterior looks, 115V AC Power outlet, AC works extremely well, handles well in the snow, inexpensive, holds a lot of cargo with the seats down, U-Connect.

Gas mileage, horrible interior plastics, needs better storage bins in the doors and center console, would probably have better grip with wider wheels and tires (6.5 inch wheels with 225 tires is really narrow in my opinion).

Stay away from the Nitro
By squig29

2007 Dodge Nitro SXT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my Nitro for a little over a year now & absolutely hate this vehicle. Here are the problems I have had so far: park brake does not hold vehicle on slight incline unless you give it that extra little pull to the last notch, park brake boot zipper splitting 5 times dealer glued it closed & say that was chryslers fix, it split open the next morning), truck completely shut off while I was driving, roof rails lifted up, pass seat squeaks, a/c isn't very cold, can't roll up pass window from driver side, unlock switch actually locked all doors, seal on rear pass window replaced, tire press dings in cold temps, seat belt warning when no one in pass seat key fob issue when vehicle running

seats are very comfortable, exterior looks

put some energy into making the vehicle work properly & stop using such cheap components just because your company is failing miserably. Maybe this is why Chrysler is failing.

nightmare nitro
By kroyman

2007 Dodge Nitro SXT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my nitro r/t June of 07 had only 2 months before I started having problems first the suspension was making noises the dealership acted like it was no big deal tried several things to fix didn't get it right until the third visit they said it was a body mass dampener as soon as I got the car back from the dealer a multitude of things started to act up plastic wheel coverings creaked when turning power steering pump making whistling noise had it back to the dealer twice on that they told me it was inherent to the vehicle and to contact Chrysler customer service instead I contacted lemon law atty. This vehicle has other problems as well drivers side window, a/c, time without my car 36 days

looks nice stereo works well

fix it

Love the looks, not the reliability
By mixed

2007 Dodge Nitro SXT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Fell in love with this vehicle because it looks different - not the same old thing. Seats are comfortable for me, steering and brakes are responsive. Lots of luggage room. Then it stalled while I was driving 75 mph on the interstate - twice. Several recalls later and that problem has been corrected. Rear seal leaked, interior plastic is warped in a few places, sunroof leaked. I like having a reliable vehicle and I'm not certain that is what I have with my Nitro. I drive close to 2,000 per month and I like knowing that I can get in, keep my gas tank full and my oil changed and go wherever I want to without worrying about reliability. Not sure that is what I have with my Nitro- shame!

Looks, lots of bins for storage, roomy interior - not huge, just right for a small family

Gas mileage, too much interior plastic, electrical system