Used 2005 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 200 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Fastest FWD Car Ever Made.
By RTShadow

2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased a commemorative edition version, one of the last made. I had wanted this car for some time. I like Dodges, and when they came out with this car it was exciting. If you want a quiet car, a super luxurious cushy car, look elsewhere. If you want throw you back into your seat and scream down the road at astonishing speeds with a throaty exhaust, this is the car for you. This is the fastest FWD car ever built, and at the time, fastest new car you could buy under 25k. I highly recommend this car to anyone looking for a run reliable quick car. You'll find most people with problems have them from doing poor modification jobs.

Boost gauge, unbelievable heater, motorized sunroof with privacy panel. Kicker sound system with 6 disc changer and 8" sub. SRS air bag seats (these were an option, the viper seats are also excellent however) car easily fits 4 adults, 5 is pushing it but less than an hour is fine. White faced gauges

I immediately installed BWoody Hbrace and traction bars and realistically dodge should have considered this to eliminate wheel hop on hard acceleration from a dig. Stock tires can be very annoying on long trips, perhaps the KDW's were not a wise choice, excellent performance, but noisy.

2005 SRT-4 w/ ACR Package
By Brad

2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is not for everybody. It's loud and frisky. Kids crowd around you when you park it. It's lousy in snow, and rides like an old Jeep. It's not refined. Understanding what this vehicle is not is vitally important. The scarce ACR package makes this outstanding handler even more amazing, with cornering approaching .91Gs. My Mopar Stage 1 upgrade brings 1/4 times into the mid 13s, with smooth turbo response across usable range. Braking is outstanding. What it doesn't beat, it embarasses. If you love performance, don't mind the tuner crowd, and can live with stiff-bolstered seats that make your middle-aged spread apparant, grab one of these cars and hang on to it.

Handling, braking and acceleration is absolutely outstanding for a vehicle in this price range. Fit and finish are quite good, with no rattles. Good legroom and headroom for a compact. Stock stereo is good. Learn to love the muffler-free exhaust; this car was made for competition. 30MPG.

I wish it was 2-door. GForce tires stick like glue on dry roads, but wander dangerously on dissimilar surfaces, and don't hold up (figure 20K max lifetime.) Shifter feels vague but aftermarkets available. Seats bolsters very hard on thighs. I miss the cruise control.

Great car!
By modernmom

2005 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for a general drive around. I have done 2 road trips from MO to MN. I love this car $60 for gas round trip! Great stereo, great handling, no repairs other than general maintenance. I love the 28-35 mpg. Nice get up and go. I am a 40 something mom and let me tell you this car makes me feel 25! I would recommend this car to anyone. Downside, noisy brakes and inconvenient console storage. Everything else is a win win!

Handling, get up and go! Fuel mileage. Very cool look, awesome stereo

Fix the noisy brakes. Reconfigure console/cupholder set up. Take the hump out of back seat so it is a true 3 seater back there.

Neon SXT
By Scott

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car everyday. It is solid, no squeaks or rattles. I have a 5spd rated 29city/36hwy. My mileage was averaging 32-33 in mixed driving. Once the engine was broken in around 5k miles it felt quite a bit stronger.The idle speed solenoid failed at around 18k miles. No other problems to date. This is the last year of the Neon. The 2nd generation Neons (2000- 2005) are a big improvement over the 1st generation in terms of quality. I also have a 2004 SRT-4 and that has been an excellent car as well.

5 speed. Power sunroof. Gas mileage.

Two complaints. The stock front seats stink. I am 6'1" and though I find the interior room just find, the stock SXT seats were just uncomfortable. I got a set of side airbag SRT-4 seats to replace them. Also, stock motor mounts way too soft, a set of prothane inserts fixed this problem.

Best car I've sold out of.
By rmercer

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I travel the Houston, Texas area and am very happy with this car. The dealer recommended this one and I was skeptical. He was right. It looks small but is very roomy. I get excellant gas mileage and this car is holding up very well in the city atmosphere. Stop and go or on the highway this car is awesome!

Roomy. Good sound system. Great gas mileage, and durable.

Bring this car back to the Dodge lineup!