Used 2005 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Purchased for highway driving.
By Sean

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I commute to work, 40 miles each way, so a car advertising high gas mileage and low pricing was key. I bought the car in October '06 when the weather was changing. It made it through the winter no problem; starts promptly, never overheats but I have noticed a few things about the car: Gas mileage advertised is for 60mph. Anything over that, kiss the 32mpg highway goodbye. Engine idles at 6k rpm when stopped, which causes a slight vibration in the cabin. Coolant gauge's normal range varies between top end of cold and first quarter line. Brakes squeak. A lot. Don't be fooled though, they work extremely well! Dodge transmission, expect problems! Already rough at 41.5k.

Reliable. Handles well. Fun to drive. Nice material chosen for seat cushions. Roomy! I'm a big guy too - 6'5, 250! CD player (Not MP3 CD player or multi-change). Nice sound system. Really good car so far, driven it 10k miles!

5 speed automatic transmission. Tighter steering column (tends to shake, feel wobbly). Better seat design, can be uncomfortable on long drives.

Great car!
By modernmom

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for a general drive around. I have done 2 road trips from MO to MN. I love this car $60 for gas round trip! Great stereo, great handling, no repairs other than general maintenance. I love the 28-35 mpg. Nice get up and go. I am a 40 something mom and let me tell you this car makes me feel 25! I would recommend this car to anyone. Downside, noisy brakes and inconvenient console storage. Everything else is a win win!

Handling, get up and go! Fuel mileage. Very cool look, awesome stereo

Fix the noisy brakes. Reconfigure console/cupholder set up. Take the hump out of back seat so it is a true 3 seater back there.

Neon SXT
By Scott

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car everyday. It is solid, no squeaks or rattles. I have a 5spd rated 29city/36hwy. My mileage was averaging 32-33 in mixed driving. Once the engine was broken in around 5k miles it felt quite a bit stronger.The idle speed solenoid failed at around 18k miles. No other problems to date. This is the last year of the Neon. The 2nd generation Neons (2000- 2005) are a big improvement over the 1st generation in terms of quality. I also have a 2004 SRT-4 and that has been an excellent car as well.

5 speed. Power sunroof. Gas mileage.

Two complaints. The stock front seats stink. I am 6'1" and though I find the interior room just find, the stock SXT seats were just uncomfortable. I got a set of side airbag SRT-4 seats to replace them. Also, stock motor mounts way too soft, a set of prothane inserts fixed this problem.

Best car I've sold out of.
By rmercer

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I travel the Houston, Texas area and am very happy with this car. The dealer recommended this one and I was skeptical. He was right. It looks small but is very roomy. I get excellant gas mileage and this car is holding up very well in the city atmosphere. Stop and go or on the highway this car is awesome!

Roomy. Good sound system. Great gas mileage, and durable.

Bring this car back to the Dodge lineup!

Great car to start with
By Chad L

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Neon is a great little car if you are looking for something to get you from point A to point B and have a litte fun doing it. The handling is the best part about it mixed with the fuel economy. Road noise is an issue, and anyone that says the brakes are noisy is right. However, a quick spray with compressed air and that issue is gone. Only had to do that every 3 months or after going through high water. Otherwise I loved my Neon until I traded it in. This is a great car for teenagers!

Exterior design is very nice, and handling makes it a blast to drive.

Cut down on the road noise. Get more interior features. Having available power locks and windows in the back would be nice.