Used 2004 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

below average, not quite a lemon
By neon H8R

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Car bought new in '04. Around 30,000 Km the first problem arose when a computer problem was causing the engine to flutter and die. After this it ate gas for some reason and still does. Around 80,000 Km a cam shaft sensor went which was not covered under warranty. The blind spots are RIDICULOUS, even the rear window is hard to see out of. I do not feel safe making lane changes and approach every intersection and crosswalk with caution. I have almost been in numerous accidents because of them. The only piece of glass you can see out of without having some huge piece of the car blocking your view is the windshield. 6 disc changer in an idiotic place, load up before you leave your driveway.

Zero. I've hated this car from day one but was in a pinch and it was all I could afford. Wife loves it and refuses to get rid of it even though we are having a baby due soon.

The improvement has already been done...Dodge stopped making this car. If you buy one of these things I have two major suggestions for you: 1) Buy winter tires if you live in a snowy climate. This car does not stop on ice with regular tires. 2) Drive no faster than 60 Km/hr on gravel. Seriously.

THIS CAR IS BAD
By kate

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Lets put it this way... the value depreciation on this car is a joke.... I bought the car a year ago for 10 grand.... now... its worth 4 at the most IF its in excellent condition... which ofcourse its not because these cars fall apart easily. And now i'm stuck paying 215 bucks a month for a car that I hate. I can't get rid of it.... i'd be throwing away 6 grand. My last car was a 1998 honda civic coupe and i hardly had to fix anything on that car. AND it was 6 years older then my neon... But somehow i am constantly throwing down more money just to keep this p.o.s. running. NEVER BUY THIS CAR!!!! I WISH SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TOLD ME THIS A YEAR AGO!!! I OFFICIALLY HATE DODGE!

um... nothing...

everything.

Great Car for little over 10K
By Robert

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Went from old 91 honda Civic to this. Wasn't sure about the car. But few friends had one so I gave it a try. Now I am still driving it with 145,000 miles on it. All I have had to do was scheduled maintenance and has been great. To me there is nothing wrong with the American Cars. They just got a bad rep and is hard to shake. I wish they still made the Neon would get a new one over the caliber.

Very easy to drive and maintain. Like the spark plugs are right on time. Can change plugs and wires in less then 20 mins.

Put automatic windows in rear.

FAST
By dodgeman

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car site unseen on the recommendation of Mopar God Rick Ehrenberg. Huge leap of faith that paid off BIG TIME. Never regretted anything. Except maybe the upgrade to Goodyear Asymmetric tires, because the car is now twice as fast in corners and the fun factor is diminished. Need to drive at extremely dangerous speeds for same thrill. Car will accept full throttle upshifts without problems. Wonderful warranty. Minor turbo problem resulted in complete assembly replacement. Worn syncros, likely due to excessive driver exuberance and fatigue, resulted in warranty rebuild. Total cost of this service? $100! No better warranty possible! CV joints remain in good condition despite abuse.

Amazing handling. Faster than most people are capable of driving (I'm professional). Still chirps tires on 3rd upshift. Actually does 240km/h (but scary under car air lift). Surprisingly good ride for so stiff and capable suspension and low pro tires (40's) If you like to drive you'll love this car.

Hydraulic clutch travel is irritatingly long. Shifter throw too long. Wider seats for those with larger backs or hips. It feels like a child's seat. Normal sized people love them though. Power windows should be on rear. Biggest improvement would be continued availability!

Not a bad car for the buck
By Michael

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used a little over two years ago this month and I was well pleased with it. I fell for the style and the color of it. Mine is electric blue with a spoiler. A couple of things I don't like are that the car is very harsh over bumps and over exaggerates on any kind of road its on. I've had to change the transmission at 75,000 miles which I was upset about. The interior is ok but I feel like Dodge could of taken it a little further than just cheap hard plastic. I like the seats in the neon as well however I can't stand that everything stains the seats (even water). Back seats sit 4 comfortably even 6,0 guys like me, the fronts seats are cramped. The car overall is a good buy

Factory stereo is great! good legroom in the back... big trunk (for small car) great handling car... with gas prices at $2, only cost 20 or less to fill up...

Needs to ride nicer. Needs an interior overhaul. needs like at least 20 more horse power. more legroom in the front. needs automatic windows on all four windows and not just the front two. and last but not least, needs seats that don't stain so easily!