Used 2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

SRT-4 2.4L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (154 reviews )

King of Bang for the Buck
By SRTified

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What a great little car! Stuff a 2.4L Turbo, heavy duty trans and limited slip diff underhood, then add a good suspension, different styling, and viola - the perfect FWD performance deal. I've been getting about 27 mpg after the engine break-in. No problems to date. Exhaust is a bit loud, but I kind of like it. It doesn't drone on the expressway. Handling is darn good for a FWD car, and brakes are terrific. It has the Kicker/Livin Loud stereo, and sounds very good! I would prefer to be able to turn the sub up a bit. Can't go wrong for the money!

Sick power, ease of modification, great handling, FWD and limited slip diff with snow tires will make it great in the winter, decent fuel economy, 4 doors and a nice trunk. In short, sports car performance without the sports car drawbacks.

Engine bucks/bobbles a bit much, could use stiffer motor mounts, which is easy enough to add. Throttle response a little soft, especially when releasing the clutch. And yes, cruise would be nice!

Speed Demon
By Scott

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall I would have to say I like this car. The acceleration is awesome, but the engine is too loud. Brakes are nice. Shifting is too stiff, and acceleration in first gear is difficult since its FWD. If you accelerate too fast, the front tires bounce so it slows you down a little. The car seems to make some funny noises in the motor which I'm praying are just noise and not an upcoming problem. I had a 2001 Neon SE, and they are very similar in driving (except for the turbo). It kind of scares me though, since after 70,000 miles the Neon SE began losing power and the brakes got worse.

The turbo, front air intake, brakes, and viper seats.

Fix the engine noise, adjust the shifting, and make it AWD or even RWD. The suspension is a little too tight.

Can't stop talking about my car
By Erica

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned my car over a year now, and everyone around me is already sick of how much I talk and talk about it. I have had owners of much more expensive sporty sedans, coupes, and true two- seater sports cars try out my SRT-4 and to a person have all been amazed at it's power, acceleration and performance. Fun to drive is an over simplification. When I mention the price, it can't be believed. Reading professional reviews, most complaints are about the interior. Well, I say, I'd take a toned-down interior to be able to afford this kind of power and performance! In my opinion, I want all of the "bells and whistles" under the hood.

Body hugging seats. Acceleration and cornering ability The "wing" spoiler. The looks I get (double-takes are common). The price and dependability. Also, I get 30 mpg on the highway.

Definitely needs wider tires and cruise control

My Review
By Tom

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the car to have, if your not loaded with money and like a good American car. Take my word for it, the SRT-4 is such a fun car to drive. It's addicting...find out for yourself.

Exterior design, price, reliability and of course performance.

I would suggest better tires, only because the BF Goodwrich tend to lose tred rather quickly, seeing as it is a front wheel drive car.

Rocket ship
By John

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is so fast and fun I am suprised it is legal! I bought it in October of '04 with 4k miles on it. In the 5 months that I have had it I have put on 18000 miles without any problems. Even with all the performance I still get an average of 28 mpg. Everyone that has ridden in the SRT4 has been super impressed with the performance. The interior is quiet, comfortable and super supportive. The handling is good, the performance is awesome and the gas mileage is good and the stock stereo sounds pretty good too. What more could you ask for!

The performance and the seats.

Needs cruise control. I wish it was rear wheel drive.