Used 2004 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Cheap and Fun
By Aaron

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

In most buys, I would say you get what you pay for. But, this car offers great features at a relatively low price. However, the low cost is evidenced by a few minor things such as manual rear windows. But, these are definitely made up for by the look and performance of the vehicle. First thing I did was put Bosh Platinum 4 spark plugs which increased my gas mileage and performance. I get anywhere between 32-35 mpg with this car. My only parts repair has been the starter so far and I have owned the vehicle since it only had 28,000 mi on it. Due to no under carriage, I destroyed my motor from high water. Totally my fault, but I (quite easily) put a new engine in and it runs great

Drives Fast, Easy to Modify, Love the look of the stereo and shifting panels matching the exterior color, Excellent Handling, Allow Rims

Stain Resistant Seats, High Depreciation (don't buy this car expecting to resale it, this is a car that should be paid off and used to drive while you save money for your next car)

Dont do it! Cheap tranny!
By yoyoNvegas

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

i got this car with only 50,000 miles on it had tranny serviced car automatic was shifting rough and getting stuck and shifting. had this problem fixed before and it came back after a year! Besides that no other issues car only has 70,000 miles on it

roomy interior

TRANSMISSION! improve body style measly front.

best first car i could have hoped for
By mpickett

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i bought my neon used from the original owner. i've had it for about 7 months now. this is also my first car that i bought myself. after spending two months looking for the right car, one that was cheap and good quality, i found that i made a great dicision. the guy i bought the car from took great care of it and so it still looks fantastic, and runs very well too. i like only having to spend 25 dollars for a gas fill up too. and the sound system is terrific with sub woofers and an amp in the trunk. plus, it attracts a lot of people's attention with the spoiler and ground effects. overall, i think i made a great choice with a car that im sure will last me a very long time.

neon lights underneath, sound system, great acceleration with cool air intake

too light and it makes me uneasy driving fast over a bridge because i can feel myself losing a little control of the car as wind hits it

Unreliable and Untrustworthy
By Ivory

2004 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have now had this vehicle for approximately 2 years. It is now just over 112,000 miles. Just in the past 4 months, we have had to replace the transmission, both front tie rods and the radiator. The front windshield has a large crack from the drivers side to the passengers side which I refuse to replace at this time. The transmission went with little warning indication that it was 'going'. Vehicle has been serviced on a fairly regular basis and is not abused.

I really have none other than the obvious. Low gas mileage and cheap car. (Clearly I got what I paid for)

The entire car. I now hate everything about this car. I am terrified and scared to drive it anywhere because I'm afraid of getting stranded. Any owner that reaches 100,000 miles..hope you have AAA for all the towing you are going to have to do.

Budget Wheels in KC
By Bill in KC

2004 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Neon new off the lot. I wish we would have ordered it out the way we wanted it, but all in all we did OK. We have taken this car on several road trips and found it to be excellent on the highway (except for a bit of road noise). Driving in snow is a bit of a challenge though. The trick is to keep excellent tires on the car! I find the engine weak, but reliable and I am always concerned by the clatter she makes when she starts up. To my surprise, a weak battery caused several sensors to go nuts and report three different codes. Thankfully, an excellent mechanic figured it out, replaced the battery and we are ready for another 70K in this little car!

handling, seat comfort, visibility, reliability

POWER REAR WINDOWS! Altered console layout with workable cup holders. Improved seat belt height adjusters (They don't go up high enough and I jam my shoulders into them ALL THE TIME)