Used 2004 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

SRT-4 Fun to Drive
By Jess

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm not a Neon fan, but I love turbo motors and Dodge built this one right! With minor mods, I was able to boost the SRT from 228HP and 253ft/tq at the wheels to 246HP and 276 ft/tb at the wheels. This car is by far the best bang for the buck sports sedan out there!

The best feature is the 2.4L Turbo motor.

Fast for Cheap, Sleeper from Factory
By CMonsterGT

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm a 300 lb guy. I wanted a fast car that was relatively easy to get in and out of. At first in my car shopping experience, the SRT4 didn't even show up in my searches due to the fact that it only comes in a 4 door. It's one of the sharpest 4 doors I've ever seen. Even better looking than the WRX and Evo8. It still needs to be dropped at least an inch, though. This car is fast and fun, and with 4 doors, you can still have a family and enjoy this car! Plenty of room and plenty of sound from the kicker sound package. Make sure you get the sunroof! It feels great to drive, and it's hard to keep your foot out of the gas. Plenty of room in the trunk, and the Viper seats keep you planted!

The boost! I like the seats and sunroof and the kicker livin' loud sound system. You can mod this thing for cheap! An extra $3k in the car and you can get it up to 290hp! I would suggest looking into the turbo timer and cruise control. Those make having this car as a daily driver much easier.

The black plastic surrounding the windows starts to fade after 30000 miles, and brings down the sharpness of the car. The gas tank is pretty small. The turning radius is worse than an F- 150, but if you aren't squealing tires when making a U-turn, then you aren't driving the car correctly!

Hate to say it.
By Carlos

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have seen nothing but good reviews and thats why I bought this car. I have put 7k on it. Turbo leaks are infamous. The tranny is a headache also. Many many people report tranny issues and I'm one of them. This car is a blast to drive but I feel like its going to fall apart anyday now. It has a stubborn transmission and shifts like crap especially in the cold. Maybe I got unlucky.

When not leaking boost, fast car. Beat on Mustangs all day long. It's loud, the kicker system is good.

Bad transmission, Car will leak oil from manifold into intercooler pipe connected through the throttle body. This is a defect from factory. Oil catch can is needed. Stock mounts are no good. Stock wires melt from heat, need aftermarket and plugs, automatic trans fluid used in manual trans. Go Dodge!

GLH!!
By Mike

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is by far the fastest, most responsive and most fun vehicle you can get for the price. Period. It will run with the bigger dogs, able to keep up with cars 10-15K dollars more that it's price (perfect example: this will out run the most expensive, upgraded $32,000 version of the RX-8). It looks great (although I do have to admit that other than the dual exhaust and wicked huge spoiler, the back end looks a little plain) inside and out. And I can't say enough of how I love those seats! Spectacular support without sacrifice of comfort. The tires look great, and perform wonderfully no matter what the road conditions (I was amazed at the grip they had in the winter months). Awesome.

Ridiculous speed, unbeatable price, and a unique and awesome look.

Cruise control, wider tires, more flare for the back end (tuner tail lights factory).

Great for the price
By Patrick

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The power-to-weight ratio is great. I replaced the air filter with a K&N direct replacement, then pulled the OEM exhaust off and added a Flowmaster 30 series exhaust, and brought the intake air temperature readings down by 4.7k-ohms. The result? Basically, I bought a new '04 Neon, and added the $135 in parts above to it, and now I get about 40 mpg on 89 octane, not to mention the fact that I can run a 15.7 in the quarter-mile. The power/economy side of this car is very attractive. The interior is roomy for a compact, but not too flashy. The ride is comfortable and handling is tight. The external body lines are somewhat outdated, but acceptable, Overall, this is a great car for the money.

Motor: $135 invested, and puts out about 151 hp and 152 ft/lb torque, but still gets 40 mpg (5-spd manual, 89 octane, OEM wheels and tires). Fun to drive to... this car handles much more better than you'd think. In the summer, push the lateral g-force to it's limit with no tire squeal!

The clutch is very soft and took a bit to get used to. Over time, you adapt to it, and shifting is very easy... it was just that first 1000 miles or so that I had to "program" my foot on how far to drop the pedal and anticipate clutch engagement again, but I can fly through gears now.