Used 2003 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 172 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Work Horse
By Ellonen

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have put 145K (mostly highway) miles on it so far. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Normal maintenance ie change timing belt at 100K, regular oil changes etc. Fun to drive. Now working in rural area and car is handling the rough terrain and dirt roads without a problem.

Acceleration. Comfortable. Reliable

Why manual back seat windows?

My first car was a disaster
By acd88

2003 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a car to get to work and college. Bought a used 2003 Dodge Neon from dealership with 54,000 miles on it. Ran great for the first few months. Then it idled rough so I replaced spark plugs and wires. Ran good for a while. Had trans flushed at 62,000 miles and things went downhill. Radiator ruptured two months later. Trans fluid leaked out, coolant fluid contaminated the trans. Replaced radiator. At 68,500 miles had AAMCO inspect it. Said trans was good but needed to replace motor mounts.The day before Thanksgiving the transmission went(71,000 miles) Mechanic says the coolant fluid that got in the trans, destroyed it. Thought it would be an easy maintenance first car. Boy was I wrong!

Handles good. Great gas mileage. Fun car. Easy to find parts to maintain it.

Radiator problems leading to Trans failure seem to be common issues. It would be nice to have lever to pop the trunk instead of having to turn off the car and using the key to open the trunk.

Do not buy this vehicle!
By Nicole

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Despite taking great care of my car, I've had nothing but problems with it. My brakes have needed work on multiple occasions. I've had to call AAA three times in the past 6 months alone due to the car breaking down and leaving me stranded, all at less than 55,000 miles. Dodge acknowledges there are many issues with the car's radiator, but they won't do anything to help you, even when the problematic radiator fries your transmission and needs costly repair work. My Neon has eaten 2 radiators in the past month alone, and I've given up on it at this point. Avoid this car completely unless you want to spend $500+ each year on costly repairs that a reliable vehicle wouldn't even need.

It's affordable for a college student who needs to watch their budget. The gas mileage and sound system are decent.

Well, they stopped making the vehicle - that should tell you something right there. This car is a great example as to why the American auto industry is doing so poorly.

The best first car ever!
By kay

2003 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love, I mean love this car! wicked fun to drive, and so easy to handle. I fell for it when my eyes saw it, so cute and really reliable

definitely the CD player and the awesome gas mileage, which is great being a college student.

More leg room for taller people, my dad has a heck of a time getting in.

Good car for the money.
By Bigfoot

2003 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car 1 1/2+ years ago for $7500 and have put 20,000+ miles on it. Knowing what I know now would buy it again. Only problems I've had are I've had to replace the front brake pads twice already. I put in the least expensive pads. But other than that this had been real good dependable car. Plenty of power for passing and in the hills. Decent gas mileage as I've always gotten 29-30 any time I've checked it. Also pretty comfortable car. My hip don't get stiff and sore on longer trips like it does when I drive my Jeep.

Sporty look. Good power for a 4 cylinder. Handles very nice.

Can't really think of anything. My experience with this car has been great.