Used 2002 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Best Used Car for the Money
By carnut

2002 Dodge Neon ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think that these Neons get a lot of negative publicity because of the Toyota/Nissan/Honda owners out there. For a used car though, I would rather buy a Neon for $4,000 than an Import for $7,000 any day. You can't beat it for the value and the more I drive mine, the more I like it. Mind you, it isn't worth buying new and if I did, I'd buy the Honda Civic but resale value works in favor of the used car buyer too, and I lucked out with my Neon. I would definitely buy the Used Neon over the Used Civic any day.

The seats are extremely comfortable for a low-end car. It is very roomy and feels much better than it really is. It also rides and handles nicely, and has decent acceleration. Very good car for the money (very good car anyways, even if money isn't involved)

Gas mileage. In its defense, I drive in LA and I only live about 1.5 miles away from work (I need to buy a bicycle). I think it would do much better on the highway.

Horrible Car
By Janice

2002 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am constantly having to take this car into the shop for brakes to get fixed over and over again. My Insurance told me that they had to raise my insurance because of the type of car. They said if I was ever involved in an accident the car would pretty much be totaled because it was made cheap. I also though having a smaller car would mean better gas, boy was I wrong. I am trying to get rid of it ASAP. For anyone looking, do not buy, it is terrible.

None

Everything

Little engine that could
By Redjaseak08

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed my Neon from day one, I bought it used when it had 43000 miles on it, I now have 80,300 miles on it. The only mechanical problem I have had with it has been the clutch, which was replaced for $700.00 and that was due to letting inexperienced friends drive my manual. I live in Alaska, and this car has done me well. I haven't been stuck, it has great control and still drives likes it's right off the lot. It's affordable in the following aspects, gas, inurance and general maitenance. I would reccomend this car to anyone who needs a commuter car or just an everyday ride.

Control on and off the highway. Heater works great which is good for Alaska. Great gas mileage, I fuel up on average every 385 miles thats city mixed with highway.

I would like to see comfy seating, the seats they have in it are too stiff and hurt your back and seat after long drives.

pc review
By 3rdneonowner

2002 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Neon (1995 sedan & 1999 sport coupe previous). Nice body style, decent power. I am still wondering what the 4th gear is for, it doesn't seem to have much difference from the 5th gear. Like most other folks, I found the brakes to sqeak too much. The left rear drum break will rust if driven through much water and lock up the rear wheel. The car had to be flat-bedded to the dealer. They took it apart and found nothing wrong(?). It still locks up some, but not the same extent. The gas mileage is lower than my other 2 Neons, go figure. Car is dependable however, and I plan on many more miles

Reasonably comfortable, decent power, no squeaks other than the brakes. It corners nice and handles pretty well. Has been very dependable with no repairs.

Dodge really needs to figure out the brake issue. Bring the mileage back up to what the previous Neons showed.

God help us all
By milent

2002 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car less than two years ago with 30k on it and as soon as I reached 36k and my warranty expired, this car was nothing but a pain. It leaks, had to replace radiator, transmission went bad at 52K. It became increasingly noisy. It goes fine when alone in it, but two more people get in and it seems like it is pulling the trailer. It is relatively cheap. I say relatively because you are going to spend a lot on repairs. never gonna buy another.

Easy handling, pretty roomy

Try to import some Japanese technology and ways of making it in them, because you are gonna loose a buyers. you already lost me.