Used 1998 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

278,000 miles and still going strong
By huskers57

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon new in 1998 and have had only one major issue and that was with the defective head gasket. Other than general maintenance, it has been a great car. I just put a set of 75000 mile tires on it and I talked to my mechanic and he said it should hit 400,000 with no trouble.

Have always used Catrol Syntec and I get about 30-35 in town and around 40 on the highway. I have had a few trips (recently) where I hit 45-48 mpg.

Other minor issues include the leak around the driver's side tail light and my sunroof motor went out.

Could not have spent $17,600 any better way.

Handling Gas mileage Fun Solid

Cheaper sunroof motor replacement parts

Couple things people dont know
By jimalee2000

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I bought my car at an auction last year. I have driven it every day and had no major problems other than: The 4 cyl has a not so known issue of the valve cover gasket leaking oil into spark plugs. This was found by a mech telling us so I have yet to replace gasket. I take the plug out clean it and it's good to go for a few months longer. Secondly is I have to put oil in it cause the oil pan gasket is bad. BUT knowing those two problems I am ok with it. It is known for bad heads and often blow. I haven't had that issue yet! But the engines are so easy to find it is good to work on.

I like the size for me and two kids it fits well. The trunk is huge and I put it in a snow bank with no major damage. It was cheap car and has paid for itself.

For the price of the car and its old. Can't say much bad. I guess for a new car it would be considered a cheap car. But it serves it purpose

Best first car!
By Kyle

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I've had my neon for about a year now. I had it given to me from my parents at 98,000 miles and it now has 101,000 so you can guess that I am happy with it. I love the gas mileage and the dependability, I am not to fond of the power though. Getting on the freeway is not very fun. Overall I am just happy that I got a car that doesn't need to be in the shop every few months.

the originality and simplicity of the vehicle.

what can you expect from a base model compact.

Fun but big-time TROUBLE
By Paul

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

When I found my Neon R/T, white with blue stripes, I thought I had gone to heaven. And there is no question that it is a fun car to drive when it runs but I have had nothing but trouble since I bought it. I have had the engine rebuilt twice and numerous things replaced, much more than I would expect even for a car that has over 150,000 miles on the odometer (I bought it at 94,000 miles). The trunk and right rear seat area leaks buckets of water in every rain or snow storm. If it wasn't for the consistent 30 mpg I would dump the car ASAP.

It is fun to drive and gets great gas mileage.

Apparently blowing head gaskets was a significant problem for the early Neons.

Easy to work on, and great gas mileage
By maw96usa

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for its gas mileage abilities and I have not been let down. I've been getting around 32-34mpg in town and 38-41mpg on the hwy. I drove it from Colorado Springs, Colorado to Bakersfield, California for less than $90.00 with gas at $3.50 a gallon. As a home mechanic I also appreciate how easy the car is to work on. At 150k miles I really went through the engine and replaced the timing belt, water pump, oil pan gasket, power steering pump, valve cover gasket set, thermostat, and it was all really easy to get to with out much trouble at all. I tell friends and family that if I get another car it'll be another Neon!!!

The over all looks of the 2 door is really sporty. The heater heats up quickly in these Colorado winters and the A/C is great for our hot summers. Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage!!! I easly get around 40mpg driving on the interstate!!!

Keep them easy to work on. Nothing worse than a car that has to be taken in to have something simple replaced by the dealerships.