Used 2005 Dodge Magnum Consumer Reviews - 429 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Magnum

View reviews for a specific Magnum model:

Still Loving It ...
By Nikdfish

2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Aside from a few bumps along the way, I have always enjoyed this car. Some warranty repairs needed, but my out of pocket for repairs has been minimal (< $400 over 4 years). Great power and towing capacity (for a unibody). Tremendously sure footed in all driving conditions. Better in winter than a 4x4 pickup. Very comfortable on long trips and 23-24 mpg on the interstates. Was planning on a new 2009 or 2010 version but they discontinued the model so I'll be driving this one til the wheels come off. Only disconcerting issue was a change in alignment specs that made it necessary to purchase replacement components to permit alignment to the new specs (would have met old specs OK).

Power and handling. Acceleration for merging is primo. With AWD and stability control, it is hard to make it break loose in a turn even under acceleration. Lots of room and very comfortable for trips. Tows a 3000 lb trailer with no effort.

Brighter dash lighting for bright sun conditions. More aggressive addressing of TSB described conditions without owner cost. Bring back this body style and also offer a common rail diesel option like the european version.

Where is the quality?
By Xpender

2005 Dodge Magnum RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my Magnum RT with only 30K, black, fully loaded, heated leather seats, GPS, CD changer, sunroof... Love to drive, lots of power, but a bit sluggish when driving in the city. The front end seems to be weak. Had a clucking noise from the front and it ended up being the both strut arms, and the sway bar bushings. Was also told that the tie rod were a bit loose. For that kind of low mileage, I would expect more durability. Winter driving was great. Traction control is almost always on, but had no problems. Would I buy another one, maybe, but it would have to be a car with a Hemi. Once you drove one (Hemi), you will get bored in any other vehicles.

Hemi, GPS, Sunroof, heated leather seats, reversible trunk carpet for wet dogs, transmission

Stronger front end

Junk
By bjstarnes

2005 Dodge Magnum RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Magnum with a hundred miles, first year out. I would not recommend this car or any other Dodge product to even my worst enemy! I have had my car in the shop at least 20 times in the past 2 years. 4 times in one year for the transmission! I have called Chrysler Corp about this issue and they do not stand behind their work, they will do nothing for me. If you know what's good for you do not buy this car!

Going broke from suspension problems.
By hubberd

2005 Dodge Magnum SE Rwd 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Tires wear every 15k miles. Car pulls to the right, dealer says every thing is OK after 3 alignments. After warranty expired, I have major issues with front end noises. Spent lots of money on tie rods, stabilizer links, tires, bushings, etc. I still have front end noises. My mechanic says get rid of it. Says car has multilink suspension. Too many parts that can break. People wonder why American car companies are going out of business. I'm buying a Toyota next.

Looks cool. All the bad far outweigh the cool looks.

Terrible engineering. Get rid of the Magnum. My 22,000 car is now worth 6,000.

I love this car
By Dan in IL

2005 Dodge Magnum SE Rwd 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my 05 Bonneville for the 05 Magnum SXT RWD 3.5L. I am 19 and this is the perfect car- it's definitely a sporty college kid car, and I got mine with under 20k miles for under $10k. What a steal! Gas mileage is not bad. I get 21mpg driving around town but I do a lot of interstate driving and i maintain 25-27mpg. Not better than my Bonneville no, but it certainly gets just as good gas mileage as any other car on the road today. I only wish I had a Magnum R/T. I want the dual chrome exhaust with the Hemi!

I love the design of the exterior and interior! Sunroof. Lots of room [I am 6,1]. Rear lift hatch and organization tray. Sound system. Sexy 18" chrome wheels

Bring it back