Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews - 324 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Journey

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

love/hate 09 Journey owner
By skymel13

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 09 Dodge Journey used in July 2009 that's where my love started for the Journey. Everything great- loved that it was a 3 seater and a v6 engine. My Journey took our family on many family outings. My hate for the Journey started around 40,000 miles where it started to have starting problems, everything powered worked and it would start after 5 minutes. At, 50,000 miles starting issues again more often and taking longer to start. Took to dealer 3 times in one month. Told it was the battery (wrong). Starter and alternator good. problem: WIN Module and FOB key price to fix w/o ext warranty $800-$1000. I have ext warr paid $100. Please current Journey owners buy the ext warranty.

v6, 3 seater up to 7 passangers, cd disc player,heated seats

fix the win module problem and make the brakes last longer

09 Journey probs
By jhernandez5

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Has anyone found a solution to why the Journey doesnt restart after its been parked? All I hear is maybe the Shifer, IOD fuse, some thing electrical.
I recently purchased a used Journey 09, in Chicago, one week later it didnt want to start. Same thing like others, key in, lights, radio good, but no turnover. Not even a choke.
Wait about 20 min then it starts. Put in Nuetral, then back to park then turn key and it starts up, sometimes.
What is the SOLUTION?

The Body style. roomy.

Recalls for Ignition problems please

MOTOR MOUNT
By allan3590

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased the 2009 Journey back in June 2008 after 5 or 6 months heard this noise on the right front and told the mechanic about it they checked it and said it is the ware of the vehicle and left it at that when we would travel around on the highway and we would here this noise and after we got the vehicle up to 70 miles an hour the sound would go away and we left it at that well we have had that noise and finally in 2013 still have that noise when we would travel around at 40 to 50 miles an hour.
my mechanic looked under the carriage of the car and advised me that the motor mount on the right side was totally collapsed and that is why we had this noise for the last 5 years . Cost $275.

Pick a different SUV
By rogalski

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Look at any other model, this one has been nothing but headaches.
The windshield has been replaced 3 times probably due to the angle of the windshield not deflecting debris.
The gas mileage is terrible and the "worst" issue is the faulty ignition system, it has an intermittent starting issue that the dealer cannot seem to repair.
I have had the fuse box software updated and replaced the starter.
Dodge is aware there are issues but either cannot or will not fix it.
Pick a different make or model you won't regret it.

The reasons I was attracted to the Journey, was the roomy interior and two back seats which give you room to carry extra passengers or put the seats down and carry additional cargo.

Fix the electrical issues with the ignition system and improve the gas mileage.

2 Many problems Disappointed
By renesmi

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I really wanted this vehicle for starting my new family but all that started happening was problem after problem,I hate it now wish it didnt have so many problems.Have only 80,000 miles on my vehicle to have so many problems.

Interior, Exterior,3rd row seats, V-6 , Comfy

Battery is behind the tire sucks so checking the diagnostic for the battery was difficult at autozone. Should have a dipstick for transmission fluid, its retarded that I have to go to the dealership just for them to change transmission fluid so they can use special tool to change it.