Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews - 326 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Journey

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

Love it..
By Chrysler Baby

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When I went to purchase my car, I was looking at a used Pacifica but saw this and decided to test drive it. It sits high enough that I can see things but low enough that my older mother can get in w/o any problem. I drive a lot of highway miles and there is very little road noise which is wonderful! I love the eletrical plug in too! Makes it great to have a Wii plugged in for my son on our long trips back and forth to Grandmas.

The Visibility is exceptional for a short person like me!

expensive choice
By jc2009

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had squeaking in my brakes from the first week. My transmission jerks and have had it checked repeatedly. Car hops when turning. It floats and is hard to control on the freeway. It leaked so bad that the back floor compartments were full of water, the carpets molded and they had to glue all the seams. They were so cheap they left the removable carpets instead of replacing them although the Journey logo came off due to water damage. Now my front brakes are metal to metal after a week ago of being told they were safe . 600-700 to do the brakes . Dodge needs to recall these for wiring, the brakes and the leaks. I will never buy a dodge again.

none

Recall the brakes, the seams for leaks, the computer radio that short out, the wiring that shorts out and the transmission that jerks. The fixed the hopping recall but it still does it.

Great Value for the Price
By DodgeMan

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Compared to Equinox, Acadia, Edge, Flex this is a great vehicle for the price. Overall it's a great utility vehicle. Tows 3500 lbs, has a ton of features and storage. It looks cooler than a van and has a peppy engine. This vehicle has good some bad reviews for being under powered. First off if you are going to by a cross over that seats 6, why would you buy it with a 4 cylinder engine? I have a Chevy Cobalt (which I love) that is 1/2 the size that has a 4 cylinder. Have common sense. Brake issues have also been sited as a common problem. Ride 10' from the car in front of you and the brakes will go out in 10,000 miles. Have common sense. I love the Journey. I recommend it.

Under seat lighting, built in dash cooler, built in storage under seats. Lots of features for the price. Life time power train warranty.

Include a complete factory towing package with factory installed hitch, receiver and harness. Better tire pressure monitoring system. Eliminate the helicopter sounding wind nose when the rear windows are done. Get rid of the light cloth on the interior. This is a family vehicle kids, dogs, etc.

Don't Waste your money
By Darla

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car i have ever bought. After 20,000 miles i have had to replace the brakes. I took it into the dealership today because the check engine light came and I need to have the breaks done again. The seats stain like crazy. This is not a good car for little kids. My son spilled a soda in the seat and now it is stained and i can't get it out. I definitely don't recommend this car.

recall this car for the brakes and correct the interior seats

Dodge Journey SXT AWD loaded
By Jeff

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I like this midsized SUV alot, Tows 3,500 lbs None of the others in its class are capable of towing at all not even recommended for a bicycle rack! I would have preferred a top chrome cross bar on the grill, I have rally raced it and won every time against all the usual rally cars - Suvs, I do not know why they offer a four cylinder engine in the SE model, anyone one who buys with the four and than complains about power and some of the lower priced trim do not have anyone to blame but themselves

Everything

change the Grill, it does not look right without the top bar, Drop the 4 cyl SE, offer the V8 they have made available for the Jeep Grand Cherokee 2010 model which is the journey with some changes in exterior trim and a V8, I think the Six is plenty but there are some who would like the option