Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews - 323 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Journey

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

Keep Waiting For the Other Shoe to Drop
By BarryE

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am approaching 36,000 mi & have had no problems at all. I keep waiting for something to give me a reason to trade, but its almost perfect. I'm in Eastern NC & easily average 28 mpg on our rather flat terrain. My wife likes the vehicle size & heated cloth seats. My hands-free phone through my cell is better than her setup through her Camry.

Heated cloth seats, mpg, styling, tires, suspension and quietness.

Access to computer information center & trip odometer changes are awkward as you have to reach through the steering wheel.

Front brakes
By TOMMY SMITH

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This seem like a nice vehicle. But it's had a lot of brake dust on the front wheels for a while. Now at 20,000 miles it is metal to metal on the left front wheel and the right front is very close. On top of that the day after I purchased this vehicle m&m Dodge went out of business & the nearest Dodge dealer is about 20 miles farther & they won't give a loaner while it's being worked on plus they won't cover this anyway because there are no recalls. I have been a dealer mechanic in my earlier years. I am quality control person on vehicles that belong to the federal government & we have to make quality deficiency reports on poor performance. Dodge is not doing it. Shame shame!

Make dealers do more quality control reports. Dodge should pay the dealer for repairs no matter where you bought it. Why did the government bail them out.

Love it..
By Chrysler Baby

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When I went to purchase my car, I was looking at a used Pacifica but saw this and decided to test drive it. It sits high enough that I can see things but low enough that my older mother can get in w/o any problem. I drive a lot of highway miles and there is very little road noise which is wonderful! I love the eletrical plug in too! Makes it great to have a Wii plugged in for my son on our long trips back and forth to Grandmas.

The Visibility is exceptional for a short person like me!

expensive choice
By jc2009

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had squeaking in my brakes from the first week. My transmission jerks and have had it checked repeatedly. Car hops when turning. It floats and is hard to control on the freeway. It leaked so bad that the back floor compartments were full of water, the carpets molded and they had to glue all the seams. They were so cheap they left the removable carpets instead of replacing them although the Journey logo came off due to water damage. Now my front brakes are metal to metal after a week ago of being told they were safe . 600-700 to do the brakes . Dodge needs to recall these for wiring, the brakes and the leaks. I will never buy a dodge again.

none

Recall the brakes, the seams for leaks, the computer radio that short out, the wiring that shorts out and the transmission that jerks. The fixed the hopping recall but it still does it.

Great Value for the Price
By DodgeMan

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Compared to Equinox, Acadia, Edge, Flex this is a great vehicle for the price. Overall it's a great utility vehicle. Tows 3500 lbs, has a ton of features and storage. It looks cooler than a van and has a peppy engine. This vehicle has good some bad reviews for being under powered. First off if you are going to by a cross over that seats 6, why would you buy it with a 4 cylinder engine? I have a Chevy Cobalt (which I love) that is 1/2 the size that has a 4 cylinder. Have common sense. Brake issues have also been sited as a common problem. Ride 10' from the car in front of you and the brakes will go out in 10,000 miles. Have common sense. I love the Journey. I recommend it.

Under seat lighting, built in dash cooler, built in storage under seats. Lots of features for the price. Life time power train warranty.

Include a complete factory towing package with factory installed hitch, receiver and harness. Better tire pressure monitoring system. Eliminate the helicopter sounding wind nose when the rear windows are done. Get rid of the light cloth on the interior. This is a family vehicle kids, dogs, etc.