Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews - 327 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Journey

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

Family Truckster
By Paul K

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle is by far the best in its class, and priced well for quality and performance it delivers. As many first set of brakes were replaced at 12K, but under warranty. Dealer adv that Dodge is making improvement to the brake pads soon. The V-6 with quick shift option is great. The national safety ratings are excellant. Only complaint city MPG could be better, but again my wife drives like she trying out for pole position in NASCAR. The under hidden storage, beverage (in dash), built in power converter, and recharging flash light, and rear doors that open 180 degrees are options you won't find in an import. Would by again..

Optional seven passenger seating.

better city MPG average 17 / Hwy 24-26 3.5 V-6. But again wife is a lead foot.

lemon of a car
By Kiki

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

One month after purchasing my 09 Journey, I was locked out in the extreme cold because the computer system went dead. I brought it back twice to be repaired. I noticed a rotten egg smell that I brought the car back for twice and was told there was nothing wrong. Then it leaked water through the roof, that was repaired. Now as I was driving 60 miles an hour on the highway, a very loud bang and then the speed immediately dropped down to 2 miles per hour and barely moving. I have been without a car for 2 days while they replace the ptu unit in the transmission. To say this car is a lemon is being nice.

The best SUV nobody knows
By Juan Marcos

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

First time I saw the Journey was on the road. Chrysler was not advertising at the time and then early last year went on a trip and rented one. I was very impressed by the sure footed handling, styling and interior design. Then I bought one. I tow a medium sized boat so I got the 3.5L V6 AWD and the optional 19" tires with the sport suspension and trailer package. The handling is almost sport car like, towing the boat is very secure, love the convenience of the interior compartments, IPOD in the glove box and I get great millage on the highway. Compared to other crossover SUVs, the performance and looks is as good or better, and a much better value. This is to me, the best SUV nobody knows.

IPOD in the glove box and controlled through the radio, phone blue tooth, storage compartment under right seat, lots of power for towing

Make the parking brake a hand brake, add an economy mode to the automatic climate control

Should have asked a driver part 3
By Acajin

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Well here it is March 24th 2010. I've now had this vehicle for 15 months. It has 34,000 km on it and I still love this car. I had to change the brakes at 30,000 km but I got the repair shop to install aftermarket ceramic pads. This winter the power steering hose busted (twice) it was -26c when this happened and the dealer told me that it was due to the cold weather thickening the power steering fluid. The hoses are made cheap and they can't take the extra pressure. Warranty covered the problem. Get this, the best mileage I could get driving 100 kph on a flat road was 7.2 L/100 km, awesome! I usually average about 8.3 L/100 km (34 imp. mpg) on the highway and 10.5 L/100 km in the city.

Storage, handling (in both summer and winter), manual shift, fold down rear seats, gas mileage, performance.

Better power steering hoses, a spoiler over the rear window to keep the snow from covering it up. Fix the jerky transmission when the weather is cold.

Keep Waiting For the Other Shoe to Drop
By BarryE

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am approaching 36,000 mi & have had no problems at all. I keep waiting for something to give me a reason to trade, but its almost perfect. I'm in Eastern NC & easily average 28 mpg on our rather flat terrain. My wife likes the vehicle size & heated cloth seats. My hands-free phone through my cell is better than her setup through her Camry.

Heated cloth seats, mpg, styling, tires, suspension and quietness.

Access to computer information center & trip odometer changes are awkward as you have to reach through the steering wheel.