Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews - 330 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

My catchy title is "Stop, no and don't."
By Pangle

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This a PRIME example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle, especially anything from FCA Chrysler/Dodge. Our transmission blew up mid-cruise; taking the rear differential out with it. The engine pulleys (yes all of them) were replaced twice in 2 years. The front driver and passenger doors both shorted their electronics at the same time. The 3.5 engine is a great performer, but clearly it's worst enemy is itself. The engine and trans combo for that year were disasterous. Others complained about their brakes, but ours were great. Maybe the previous owner went for an aftermarket upgrade. The climate control failed twice in 3 years; shutting down the ability to choose any temp other than smoking hot on the entire passenger side. I enjoyed nice cool air conditioning while my wife didn't or vice versa. Terrible vehicle. Too bad too. On the interstate (when nothing was wrong with it) it was virtually unstoppable and the perfect ride. North Dakota to Oklahoma and back was a breeze...then it broke a week back from the trip.

LOL. THIS CAR IS A JOKE....!!!!!
By Don

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

TODAY is 02-01-1218... owned this Journey sense new, bought it in 2009. it has 85000 miles on it. since I bought it its had the top end replaced 3 times including heads, roller rockers, and fuel injection. YESTERDAY I paid another $2,200 bucks on repairs!!! replaced the breaks 2 time, battery is in wheel well making it a interesting job changing it, the dealer GLOAKs if they get to charge u $400 bucks in labor to change it. the cost to have the dealer change the timing belt is $1800 bucks.. the recalls never end!!! AND YES DODGE HAD TO PAY ME $3600 IN LEMAN LAW FINES.. NOW IN COMPAIRISON TO A 1989 Toyota pickup I bought new and kept for 14 years and 140,000 miles on it, total cost for repairs during the 14 years I had it was no more then a grand including timing belt, shocks and breaks. AND THATS IT!!! NOW rumor has it Dodge has upgraded the engine and fixed a few internal flaws. plus I do like the car, its nice to drive and love the radio and the stuff on the radio. and also if your engine light pops on and it appears that nothing is wrong, disconnect the battery and let the computer reboot. its a constant thing with mine. do that before you take it to the repair shop, could easy save you a bunch on diagnostic check>>>>.... THIS IS ONE PERSONS RATING AND OPINION.. all my life I had bought and owned new vehicles. this Dodge Journey is the by far the worse and most expensive vehicle to maintain.. if you buy one make sure you get 2 loans. one for the buying the vehicle the 2nd for repairs... THATS IT IN A NUT SHELL!!!!!

$$$ gonna spend alot!!!!!
By Don

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

battery in drivers side front wheel well, not a good place, dealer charges $400 bucks to change battery every 4 years. at 40.000 miles range had engine top end replaced 3 times including heads. cost zero, warranty took care of it, breaks replaced at 30,000 miles cost $ $1000 bucks. dealer changed spark plugs , 6 plugs $600 bucks. timing belt replaced by dealer $1500 bucks... then of coarse there's always a few bucks on smaller stuff.. would I buy another, NOT ACHANCE!! IN COMPAIRISION TO A 1989 Toyota I bought new, owned it 15 years and only had about $550 bucks tied up in it in maintence....
Part of this review is dealership crazy thiefin high cost for getting things done. Advice to you, buy a auto with proven stability ... this is not it....

A beautiful car, but a lot of trouble.
By Kathleenjamroz

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 209 Dodge Journey in 2016. First there was a fuse that went bad in it. And that cost me x amount of dollars. Then the starter had to be replaced. And now I went to start it and all my power steering fluid leaked out. I am very very disappointed in and Dodge. I really love this car but it's nothing but a headache nowadays. There is a recall for the power steering hose, but obviously not in my car. I think it is totally stupid that there is a recall but not on all the cars. Hopefully after I get this problem fixed, I can enjoy my car.

Quite possibly the worst SUV of all time
By Don'tbuyaJourney

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm just going to list the pros/cons since there's a lot of cons. Pros- Exterior styling, Power, AWD, Accident safety. Cons- Horrible interior materials, rear hatch handle broke, rear doors fill up with rain, ride is harsh, seats are flat, hard and unsupportive, visibility is awful, 6 CD changer broke almost immediately, noisy power steering, wheels are ALWAYS leaking air, repairs are expensive, bad mpg, Almost no legroom or storage space, transmission is rough, radio sounds awful and can barely receive any signals, brakes start to rub and overheat, extremely touchy pedals, absolutely no feel in the steering whatsoever, and finally, extremely easy to bump the shifter and put it in neutral on the freeway. Our dog almost broke the transmission that way once. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS.