Used 2004 Dodge Intrepid SE Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Intrepid

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Do Not Buy Intrepid 2.7 or Any Other Chrysler Product
By derek_a

2004 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I wouldn't recommend buying any used Chrysler product with no warranty. My 2004 Intrepid 2.7 lived in the shop. The car couldn't go 6 months without needing a repair, but this car's biggest problem is it's cooling system when the engine is properly maintained with 3000 mile full synthetic oil changes as I did. I've been thru 2 water outlets! a radiator, a coolant reservoir, 2 thermostats, and 2 thermostat housings. Then the car's water pump, which is at the center of the engine, goes bad causing the car to overheat and blow part of the head gasket. On top of that, the car is now tapping. Tapping, waterpump, and gasket fix will cost the same as getting a new engine. I'm getting a new car!

Nice looks, humongous full sized sedan, trunk almost swallows full sized bike, A/C blows super hard.

Chrysler of America should've had the same good build quality as Chrysler of Canada!

Good big cheap car
By herogeorge

2004 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The car was inexpensive when I bought it, comfortable, and roomy.

Bought my 2004 Dodge Intrepid SE with ~15K miles on it and ran it 8 years until it had ~125K miles. Reasonable maintenance costs up through ~100K miles, then the bills started to pile up (transmission, water pump, etc.). Depreciation
reduced the car's value to less than the cost of replacing the head when it broke, so I sold it.

Not a great car, but Overall, I was reasonably happy with my purchase. However, I would be wary of one that has over 100K miles.

I think the last gen Intrepids were among the best looking large sedans of the last couple of decades. Lots of passenger room. Big trunk. Great highway cruiser.

Worst Car Ever
By deedee56

2004 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

If you read what people say then you need to help us with a solution.
These cars are the worst ever and they all should be recalled and owners given a reliable car.

Right now I am ready to file a lawsuit against Dodge.
I think if they stand behind their vehicles then if they don't want a bad name should admit this is the worse car they ever made.
You name it I replaced it.

Well - it's my only transportation so I cannot comment on this vehicle = the only thing is there is a lot of room in the car.

For this car there is no improvements that can be made. With the design of the car it breaks down all the time. I have not enjoyed this car at all.

Drives Great
By b4202i

2004 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car about six month ago. Replaced brakes, very easy due to four disc brakes instead of rear drums. Having to change tires. It is super clean under the hood. Bought at 112K, have 122K on it now. Haven't changed oil in 4K and it is still super clean

blind spots could be better. turning a sharp corner; it doesn't do well. replacing lights in the front are difficult.

Awesome Vehicle
By booter

2004 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the vehicle at 82,000. Had a problem with the water pump. Worst place to put a water pump right in the middle of the engine. That cost about a grand if you do it yourself. right now i am pushing 110,000 and haven't had any problems. I straight piped my car and put on a performance air filter. Because of those little adjustment to my car i get about 30 to 32 on the highway. Overall it is a wonderful car and hope that it last until 250,000.

2.7 gives just enough horsepower to get me around.

Wished the engine wouldn't have all this problems