Used 2001 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Intrepid

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Engine oil sludge problem
By Eagle

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The salesman pushed this car on me. Said I was getting a great deal. My Intrepid is beautiful, nice ride, and nice to drive; however, shortly after I purchased it, the water pump went. All has been downhill since then. Because access was so difficult to replace the water pump, I spent over $600 on labor. My mechanic said he has seen this problem many times with this particular car. He recommended that I get rid of it ASAP. I am so disappointed because I love everything else about the car.

I love everything about the exterior and interior. Very roomy inside and in the trunk.

Perhaps a different engine with easier access for the repairs.

50/50 Chance
By NYYFan

2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The Dodge Intrepid with the 2.7L engine seems to be a coin toss. If you get the good engine, the size and style of the car make up for its other shortcomings which include a higher level of maintenance issues. If you do get the lemon engine, the car is worthless past the magic 60K mark. I had been crossing my fingers, but sure enough, at 65K, my engine died. My mechanic said even if I wanted to fix they wouldn't do the job because the engine is so unreliable and hard to find because of the demand for replacements. Avoid this car at all cost. Buying an auto shouldn't come with such a high level of risk.

The trunk is massive, you could live out of it. The back seat is also very roomy. The exterior is very attractive.

Nice ride, but utterly unreliable
By dfr

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The car handles well, looks nice, and gets good mileage but is a maintenance nightmare. I was stranded twice by the electrical system while under warranty. In the last 6 months, the car has needed a new oil tray and oil pump ($600) a new timing chain and tensioner ($1200) a new water pump ($800) and a new ais motor and pcv valve with odds and ends for $700. All these repairs were needed between 50,000 and 58,000 miles! Although all cars have problems, having this many on a car this young is completely unacceptable. Aside from the financial hardship, this vehicle's lack of reliability forced me to miss two job interviews and a vacation.

Good mileage and handling for a car this size.

Nothing else matters when a car is as unreliable and expensive to maintain as this. I would like to continue buying American, but this and other negative experiences have led me to the conclusion that doing so would be foolish.

Dodge Intrepid
By Ron808

2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I used to own an '01 SE intrepid with the 2.7L and I didn't have any issues with the engine at all. I did have to replace the tranny at 95,000 miles but other than that it was the perfect car. It got totaled by a drunk driver at 125,000 miles and I decided to replace it with another Intrepid. which I have now and it is even better. It is an '01 ES with the 3.2L fully loaded which i would recommend to anyone, the ride is so smooth and the size is great. The only advice I have if you are thinking about getting an 1998-2004 Intrepid is even though had no issues at with with my 2.7L engine, you should look for an Intrepid with 3.2L,3.5,or 3.5HO engine.

Moonroof, the smooth ride, and the overall look of the whole car.

The company needs to recall the older 2.7L engines and replace them with 3.2L engines. Other than that this is a great car and enjoy the ride!

Roll of the Dice
By Pauly

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used in Spring 2006 and wish I would have checked on Edmunds first before buying my Intrepid. I didn't realize that the 2.7L engine was a lemon. The A/C didnt work either. It started to leak oil last month so I traded it in for a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix with the 3800 series engine and now I sleep a lot better at night. I really liked the design of the Intrepid but didn't want to roll the dice for when the engine would go. Interior also was nicer than my Grand Prix. If you are going to buy a used Intrepid be sure it has the 3.2L or 3.5L engine in it. DaimlerChrysler has known for quite a while that the 2.7L engine had problems with oil sludge build up but did nothing.

Comfortable seats, map lights, plenty of legroom for backseat passengers

Chrysler needs to take responsibility for their flawed engine design. Also make an A/C unit (evaporator core) that last longer than a couple of years.