Used 1997 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Dodge Intrepid

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

One of the most underrated sedans
By Dodge8

1997 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought this car to replace my piece of junk 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera. This Intrepid has done more than impress me. I am getting 27 to 29 mpg with city/highway and 32 mpg with the optional 3.5l 24 valve SOHC V6 that was only rated at 26 mpg! I have almost 127,000 miles on the original motor and transmission and they both behave as though they have at least another 75,000 miles left on them. I have had to replace a intake and some other gasket on it but beyond that, it is been trouble free.

Gas mileage, acceleration that beats V6 Mustangs and Cameros, comfortable size, looks like a four door Viper from the front, great sound system, interior does not feel cheap, the one touch cup holders, white faced gauges, smooth shifting transmission, doesn't have the annoying "big car" driving feel

Make the autostick standard for all Chrysler products, offer the 3.5l in more cars than just the LX(Magnum, Charger, 300) and LH platforms (Intrepid, 300M/Vision, Concorde, LHS) like the Stratus/Sebring & minivans, offer larger base engines (3.8 instead of 3.3), high-speed axles for even better mpg.

Best Car I've ever had!
By Amelia

1997 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Truly the best car I've owned in terms of reliability, handling, gas mileage to engine size ratio, and cargo/trunk capacity. Feels like a luxury sedan, but handles like a Nascar. Hard to shake loose on the turns, just hangs in there and remains stable. I plan to drive this one till the wheels fall off and they MAKE me go get something else!

Between seats armrests with cup holders. No lag between hitting the gas and going. Low center of gravity and handling on curves. LARGE trunk space, can pack a weekend worth of camping gear, plus firewood, in there!

NONE!

Great Big Car
By Interpitor

1997 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

This is my first Dodge product out of 24 vehicles I have owned and can say I am plesantly suprized.... Tons of Interior room, Fantastic highway gas mileage and feels like you have a car under you when you drive it... I highly recommend this car... I have had no major problems other then 2 Oxygen sensors needing replacement... they are a bit costly but not a problem... They are easy to find so you can be selective and get them for really good prices... The exterior styling looks good and doesn't seem to be dated... I have the 3.3L which is a great and SIMPLE engine

Poor headlights... some interior parts have a cheap plastic feel

Great Big Car
By Interpitor

1997 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

This is my first Dodge product out of 24 vehicles I have owned and can say I am plesantly suprised.... Tons of Interior room, Fantastic highway gas mileage and feels like you have a car under you when you drive it... I highly recommend this car... I have had no major problems other then 2 oxygen sensors needing replacement... they are a bit costly but not a problem... They are easy to find so you can be selective and get them for really good prices... The exterior styling looks good and doesn't seem to be dated... I have the 3.3L which is a great and SIMPLE engine

Interior Room is fantastic as well as the trunk.... Handles great in corners... smooth shifting transmission... highway gas mileage 36MPG

Poor headlights... some interior parts have a cheap plastic feel

Good safe car!
By mel

1997 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new, very few problems. We did regular maintenance, and it took care of us. Air conditioning went out early, however was covered under warranty. We handed the car down to our daughters for their use. My 21 year old had a hard rollover accident recently with the car (slippery roads). I was very gratefull that I saw her before I saw the car, as she suffered a broken collar bone. When I saw the car, I did not recognize the vehicle as ours. I thought the top was cut off, but it was pushed down that far! I am not at all certain that my daughter would have faired as well in a lesser car...Thank God the Intrepid held up the way it did.

Crash test results...personal tests!