Used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Liked it so much I traded for another.
By Dennis Voorhees

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had 3 minivans since 1989 A Ford Areostar, a Dodge Caravan, Chevy Venture. The Venture was used and a disaster. Dumped a lot of money into it and just got tired of doing so, so I bit the bullet and bought a 2012 Program GC SXT in December 2012. The 2012 van was red and had 28000 miles on it. I drove it to 91,500 miles in just a month under 3 years. Not one lick of problems. A couple recalls though, but nothing serious. Replaced the front brakes at 90k miles, and 1 set of tires at 55k. Replaced the air filter once and did oil changes and tire rotations every 5k miles. I did replace the battery, twice though, as I had an aftermarket back up camera installed that didn't shut off the monitor, which ran down the battery a couple times. It was awhile before I caught the problem.
It was quite comfortable on long trips, I drove many 12+ hour days with no issues. I was so happy with this van that I decided to trade it for another nearly identical Red 2015 SXT. The main reason was the 12 was nearing 100k miles, I had another year of traveling planned, and the 6 year 100k warranty was about to expire. I could trade to a 3 year newer with lots lower miles for nearly the same payment. I hope this one will be as trouble free, as the 12. I'm a retired, but active guy, that appreciates the utility of the MiniVan. I highly recommend them.
UPDATE on the 2015. I purchased it was 22000 miles on the Odometer, It now has 62000 trouble free miles. The tires were replaced at 48k. That's it. Still performs like the 2012, and I maintain it like I did the 2012. I still travel quite a bit and this vehicle suits my needs. The other day I had lunch with 3 other old guys from work I had not seen in several years. All 4 of us were driving 5th generation Dodge Caravans. They are the new Lincoln I recon.

Eating my words.....Sell or Don't buy!
By trafficfdr2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to a review I wrote when I bought this van used. Nothing but problems. Great concept but loses all around. The problem with the newer Pentaster 6 cylinder engine has has the heads rebuilt, but they won't acknowledge a recall. They will fix it after it breaks. Recall on rear window switch, dlr disconnected it Chylr has no solution for it. No rear windows. Really! On a minivan. Brakes are garbage and so are the OEM tires, mine separated. Side rear sliders rub on fenders, no fix, gas cap broken=bad gas mileage. And the piece de resistance the drivers window leaks so when it is rolled down the smell that punches you in the face is unbearable. No solution there either.

Update:2016 Sold it, lost a lot of money. Nothing but problems. #buyahondaodyssey, end of sentence.

Save Your Money Keep Driving when you see the Dodge?Chrysler logo
By dsm35

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Wow what can a consumer say about a vehicle that after 7 years of pmts will be close to 40k.
The engine had to be rebuilt at around 22k miles started going out about 10k miles TOO MANY deficiencies to mention. Seriously folks these people DON'T LIKE YOU They want YOUR MONEY.
You get what you get with Dodge/Chrysler B.S.
24/7 Great commercials on T.V. Too Bad they Produce POS daily.
Mistake Waste of Money

HORRID
By horrid

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have went round and round with the dealership and Dodge manufacturing. My van sqeals during the winter, the brakes are horrible, and the transmission is horrible. Two different times I put my car into park (yes I made sure it was in park) and it started rolling and my brakes would not work. My daugher was terrified! The first winter I had this van it was fine, the second winter it started sqealing very loud; you could hear it from inside. My stransmission jerks all of the time and when at a stop my car rattles like it is going to die. Just so you know, I get my car serviced every few months. I have had it in the shop, but they saythey are aware of the issues but not recalls until resolutio

Storage

Back your product!!!!!!!!

Love it
By nateo2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I dont know why people complain about this van ours has 54,000 miles and never had a single problem besides the brakes squealing put better quality rotors on it and have not squealed since has plenty of power and we think its very comfortable all around great van

comfort, good mpgs, plenty of storage, good looking vehicle