Used 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

a nightmare
By pcarrs

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

i would not recommend this car to anyone i have owned this vehicle for 3 years i have over 200,000 miles on it i run it as a taxi and am familiar with all the problems others have written about it.
brakes are the worst they designed them too small i have to replace pads every 3 months somtimes sooner if the calipers stick replaced calipers, and rotors. replaced heater hoses several times the plastic tee cracks which leads to leaks.
radiator cracked. ac compressor hoses burst. motor mounts need constant replaceing. this car is a money pit.
you can purchase a hummer for the price you spend on this van and the fuel economy is the same!!!!!!!

believe it or not i do have something nice to say the design of the caravan is nice it has ample room for six. love the stow and go but thats about it

scrap the mechanicals build a real american car GOD KNOWS WE NEED THE JOBS!!!!!!! keep the body design it works

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT/Crew
By 69mustang69

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We traded our 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE with 125,000 miles on it for the Dodge Grand Caravan. We chose the Caravan because we could either get a fully loaded '08-'09 Caravan with all the bells and whisles or a '09 Sienna with hardly any thing on it. We live in Wisconsin, and my wife wanted a van with remote start and heated seats, and couldn't afford the Sienna with these options on it. We made a great decision and so far haven't had any problems with it yet. It was certified through Dodge so still has the warrenty. We were told to get a Caravan that was certified with the remaining warrenty because there has been some problems with them. We are proud to be Dodge Grand Caravan owners!

We love the 4.0 liter engine, heated 1st & 2nd row seats, Swivel n go chairs, remote start, dual screen dvd, back-up camera, parking sensors, upgrated 17 inch sport rims, chrome body side molding chrome mirrors with turn signals. And love the inferno red color!

The interior of the cargo area seems cheap and flimsy.

This is the worst vehicle i have ever owned.
By scoobong

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I would NOT recommened the Dodge Grand Caravan to anyone...
I Bought a Brand New dodge Caravan and it has been in the shop for 4-5 recalls Plus i had put new brakes, calipers, and rotors after 8 months of driving it. Plus it just randomly shuts off, after you start it.
The keys seldom unlock the doors, you have to manually, and it's been to the shop for that twice already.
I put less time and money into my old 1970 Ford Maverick.
Just over 100,000 and my transmision is starting to go.
I brought it in for warranty work once then they tried to tell me my muffler needed to be replaced and they would do it for$ 900.00 i said no then got a second opion and they said the muffler was fine.

Stay Away from this Model!
By blackstone114

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I just spent $988 to replace all four brakes on a Grand Caravan with just under 18,000 miles. The rear brake shoe was frozen and the front brake pads were 97% worn. This after the dealer told me last week to watch the front brakes, never mentioning the rear. This Canadian assembled from Chinese made parts piece of junk is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Their dealers are even worse. Don't be fooled by the American nameplate. Move on to another brand.

Stow and Go is nice

The brake issue is a known problem. Just do a search for 2008 Caravan brake issues. There are so many quality issues, a recall would shut down an already bankrupt corporation.

Not bad for the price
By bigd_74

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this 2008 used with 18k at the beginnning of 2009.
Got a good deal on it & it is perfect for our family with 3 little kids.
The stow & go is a great feature. I've had the dealership do all of the oil changes every 4k or 4 mos so I have solid records on file.
They did the 36k check up as well.
I had to replace rear rotors & pads at 32k as well as have the front rotors turned & new pads - did all this work myself and saved about $400.
I was shocked that it needed brakes so soon. Did the brake fluid flush & power-steering flush myself - saved a few $$$. I had the dealer flush the transmission fluid. Lots of recalls & it seems to need more maintenance than my Japanese cars.

We love the front wheel drive, storage, cup-holders & comfort of the van. The engine performs well in getting us up to freeway speeds to merge. Love the auto doors & the passenger windows that actually roll down.

Put on some beefier rotors and pads for the brakes - they wear out way too soon. I understand that Chrysler wants to make the van lighter but don't skimp on brakes to save a few pounds. Why oh why did you change the wheel size and lug patterns (including offsets) after 10+ years of the same size? Perhaps it was part of some sinister plot to manufacture steel wheels & sell them at inflated prices from the dealer to those poor saps who need studded tires for winter conditions - thanks!