Used 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

2008 grand caravan 3.3l flex fuel
By wagner1975

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Been a pretty good van so far. it has had its little problems but nothing major. Got in jan 09 as a dealer demo with 6000 miles on it. it now has 92,000 miles on it. avg about 19 highway and city combined. have replaced left front caliper and wheel bearing, front rotors, three sets of frt brakes and 2 sets of rears. had
a radiator and a/c drain recall. we go all over with this van and its been great. we have 4 kids and we pack this thing full all the time. this is our second caravan the first was a 1997 ex all wheel drive and that had 206,000 miles on it when the tranny went. love these vans! I change motor oil every 7 or 8000 mile and change transmission filter and oil once a year.

stow and go storage, fold down seats. comfortable on long trips. been a really good car for the money.

Early ones had poor wheel bearing design but were corrected. I had to change left front and now the right is starting to go. Likes to eat front brakes and warp the rotors under hard braking. And has a heat shrink heater core hose by the exhaust manifold. which heated up and leaked. cost $140 dollars for the part. i installed. I do all my own work on this and all my cars and trucks. been a good van.

confused about bad reviews
By beccalynn0204

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned a grand caravan since 2002, started out with 98 caravan and 9 years later at 140,000 traded it in for a dodge 2002 caravan.
I have not had a problem with this van.
Yes it had 4 recalls but they have been fixed and still on merry way.
My van has 42,000 miles on it and the brakes are still perfect.
Knock on wood I haven't had any problems these other reviewers are commenting on.
But I can say this someone is going to find something wrong with any car, van or truck sometime.

stow and go seats and power sliding side doors.

Poor Investment
By hategovmotos

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan C/V Fleet 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought 2008 Caravan so we wouldn’t have a reliable vehicle. Since then, we’ve had to replace brake pads at about 55,000 miles. It needs new rear rotors and the sliding doors have bad rattles. Today we were told by the our local Dodge dealership that it might need work done on the drive train or possibly a transmission rebuild ($2,600). Going to cost us $250 just to get into the transmission to find the problem. I use to be a Dodge fan, but not any more. Only good thing that company has going is the Cummins engine in the pick-ups--the engine that Dodge (GM) doesn’t manufacture.

Plan to get it fixed; get it sold; then buy anything, but a Dodge! Would not recommend this POS to anyone!

The woest purchase ever
By salyalma

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Not even 50K Miles on it and already expend $1500 in cooling and heating repairs, first AC pipes blow, then radiator and radiator cap ($400) ,the intake manifols gasket $350 and now the water pum ($350) I wont recommend this vehicle to nobody, the interior plastic panels and seat handles broke, bumper clamps loose this vehiclke really sucks

I will stick to Dodge vans
By shaughn

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have had an 07 caravan with over 300K kms on it with never an issue, so I got a new 08 Grand Caravan because the body on old one was going. And I must say I read all the negative comments about this van and wonder why mine has been so flawless. Yes the brake pads and rotors had to be replaced at 60k, but I was told this normal on this model for some reason. I solved it by not replacing with factory pads and rotors. Upgrade to the heavy duty rotors. The metal is harder and dissipates heat better resulting in my rotors now having over 70k on them and no issues. There were 3 recalls for AC and spindles. No more issues since. 750km to a tank for mileage on highway/500km in town. Not bad i say.

Sto n Go is awesome along with pivot seats in rear. It really helps when driving my grandfather around. My gas mileage is awesome for a van. Best ever. I drive from Edmonton Alberta to Comox BC on 1.5 tanks. Better than my old Caravan. I love the quietness of this van on the highway. Mant times I need to look at the TAC when sittings at traffic lights to see is the engine is running. The automatic/manual shifter is awesome idea. Makes a huge difference when going up those hills that make your tranny shift up and down alot. I downshift with a quick slap of the shifter and keep it there till the top is reached.

Power for this engine is less than my 97 Grand Caravan, which is a surprise because they have the same engine. I would suggest more powerful engine for highway. It is hard to pass when weighed down and it shifts alot on uphill grades. I'm putting a supercharger on mine (yes there's room) because I drive on the highway 90% of the time and could use the power. Plus...... its cool. Trips to soccer field will never be the same.