Used 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Disappointed Grand Caravan Owner
By Dennis

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our first Grand Caravan is a 1999 with 174k miles. Regular maintenance and a few minor issues through the years. But the 2006 model has been a major disappointment. The space and ride are good but we have been told the rack and pinion are shot as well as the power steering pump at 65000 miles. The water pump replaced at 40k and the passenger side sliding door lock broke at 20k. The leather seats are now starting to wear through. Can't wait to get rid of it.

Interior Space

Overall quality

MINE WAS JUST TOTALED AND I'M MISSING IT
By Holly

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My Grand Caravan met an ungrand ending a few days ago (we were hit) and I'm already searching the net for it's twinkie. It was by far the best, most reliable "car" I've driven. My only complaint would be that a sensor went out around 50,000 that would not allow one of the side doors to close with the click of the auto key. It was $350 to fix, so we made due and got used to it. I also had a problem with the turn signal that would not work, it was covered under warranty. We have five children and really liked the stowing capacity. It was also very comfortable for long trips. (I say that as a driver. 3rd seats not as comfy - but that is true with most vans.)

Extra foot of van length - makes for more leg room for tall teens. Comfy seats. The way it shifts and brakes - make driving fun. :)

Make the plastic fittings for the stow n' go stronger and mats that fit around them with better coverage. We have a lot of kids piling in and out and our (at 75,000) were just beginning to crack. I would also like to see a permanent drink/purse/CD console fixture next to the driver seat.

Disappointed
By Nancy

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van new and within the first year the driver side sliding door mechanism broke and wasn't covered under warranty. Year 2 the air conditioner stopped working and air bag light came on and has perpetually been on since (no one cn figure out what's wrong with it)and year 3 it's been in the shop 3 times; brakes replaced, broken water pump and bad EGR valve. It's so disappointing to have such a popular and common vehicle have so many issues.

stow and go seats

maybe it was just a lemon but I see from another review someone else had similar issues with this model year.

Not A Day's Trouble
By K.Mac

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my van used from the dealership with 18,000 miles on it, and I now have over 65,000. I have honestly never had a day's trouble with this vehicle. I change the oil, and have recently bought new tires- this has been the extent of the servicing done to my van. I commute every day 80 miles roundtrip, and when I set the cruise control on 60 I get around 26 mpg. I live on rural roads that aren't always cleared in the snow, and the traction control has come in handy. This vehicle has been a real bargain for me: reliability, luxury options that would have broke me on another van, and the feeling of safety when I'm out there on the road with all of the other large vehicles.

Stow and go seating (my little girl plays softball, and I love the tailgate seating option), triple zone climate control, audio controls on the steering wheel, ease of handling.

While I'd love better gas mileage, I knew getting the 3.8l V6 was going to cost me in exchange for more power. The turning radius is huge, so it takes a while to get to know how much room you'll need to quickly get in and out of small spaces.

Not Too Pleased
By JAWPAW

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced our previous 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 2006 model and have had several problems. Sun Roof had issues after using 3 times, rear sliding door broke at 24K miles, tires are already bald with only 40K miles, rack and pinion went at 36K and now the air conditioning just starting blowing warm air. Don't think I would buy another one. I hardly had any issues at all with my 1996 Caravan and that had over 100K miles on it. Very Disappointed with the quality. Unfortunately this is the first vehicle that I bought and did not buy an extended warranty. It figures.

Sto 'N Go Seats