Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 173 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

POOR QUALITY
By CJ

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first Dodge we've owned and it will definitely be the last! One day it just started leaking water in the passenger floor, sometimes the rear door will unlock, sometimes it wont, engine light came on at 60,000 miles, you have to tap the rear lights to get them to work, and now the air bag sensor light comes on and off at random. Biggest junk ever made. DONT BUY DODGE IF YOU WANT MORE THAN 50K MILES OUT OF YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.

The "FOR SALE" sign on the windshield.

A Keeper...For Now
By Space Junkie

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I needed another vehicle I immediately looked for a good deal on a Caravan; I drive a 2003 model at work every day. For a large vehicle I like the way it handles similar to a smaller car and the smooth ride. I only drive seven miles round trip to work each day and I take very few long trips; so fuel economy wasn't a big concern. When I DO make an occasional extended trip from home I'm glad to have the roominess and the AM/FM, cassette/CD combo--more options for entertainment. Also like it because it IS a nice looking vehicle. I feel good driving it. Gas mileage on an extended trip for me has been about 23 mpg. Around town, mpg is about 8-10 (estimated).

I really enjoy the entertainment system; I couldn't believe the speakers were as good as they are. Not too much bass and crisp treble--just what I like. I was dismayed to find how much of the interior is plastic, but it looks good, it's durable, and it's lightweight. Field of vision is great.

They have to find an answer to the power door lock system. Mine quit after owning the vehicle two weeks. After some on line research, this is a commonly frustrating, recurring malady. I have found some "homemade" solutions to fix this problem, but they're temporary fixes.

Never Again!!!
By sarahnichole975

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this van used in 2005 as a demo. The first year was fine, downhill quickly from there. AC compressor is out and before it went out we replaced the switch 3 times, both tail light covers fell off, power locks and windows work when they want to, pieces on inside break easily, not enough power to push this tank. Passenger sliding door hard to open. Back liftgate is testy. Mine doesn't have stow and go and moving those seats around and/or out is tough!!! 100 other little issues with it. But all the little things add up to one big piece of junk!!! You could not pay me to own another one. Upgrading to a Sienna!

I have always loved the look of this van. Front seats are reasonably comfortable. Back seats not so much! Decent gas mileage considering size.

Improved quality all the way around on this car would be great. This van has single handedly driven me away from all Chrysler vehicles.

Disappointing
By pn9382

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Had struts replaced at 65,000. The mechanic has replaced the strut mounts 4 times because whenever the weather turns cold we get a bad clunking sound when we hit a bump. Also problems with the electric windows and locks.

Very practical vehicle for a family car.

Inside accessories seem to be cheaply made.

Grand Caravan Lemon
By beast

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this vehicle new. Worst vehicle I have ever owned in my life. AC gone 6 times, airbag sensors 4 times, tie rods last 35000 miles, stow & go and all interior fittings are poor quality, steering rack gone at 80,000 miles, alternator gone at 35,000 miles, belt tensioner gone at 35,000 miles and the list goes on and on. Do not buy one of these vehicles. No wonder the North American auto industry is in trouble