Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 175 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Very Satisfied
By James Joy

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Have had the van about 2 years. Bought it because of the Stow and Go and large rebate. Was much better value, feature for feature, than any of the imports. Have been very happy with the vehicle. It has only been to the dealership twice in 2 years. Once was for 2 minor recalls and the other was to replace the power liftgate motor. We love the Stow and Go, the power, quiet and comfort. The power doors and liftgate were a godsend to my wife when she was pregnant and carrying around a toddler. My only complaints are minor and include excessive brake dust and inconvenient parking brake release. Gas mileage is fair around town (17-18) and decent on the highway (24-25).

Stow and Go, little green light above the console, adjustable pedals.

Redesign parking to a push pedal to release type. Use low dust ceramic brake pads. Improving gas mileage wouldn't hurt.

Steve's Caravan.
By steve weir

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The interior trim in the Grand Caravan is cheap, cheap, cheap. Had the vehicle for 2 years and all the plastic parts for the back seats have cracked off. One of the cup holders is also broken. The plastic does not hold up. The rest of the vehicle is great but this trim destroys the vehicle and will keep me from buying a new one.

Engine, transmission

Improve the plastic quality, especially in the rear seats.

Don't waste your money on a Dodge
By jonlynn

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I did a lot of research prior to buying my minivan. Somehow this thing came up good. I shoud've trusted my instinct and walked away from the dealer. No wonder Chrysler is going under. Like everyone else: 16k- new brakes and again at 31k! I finally did not go to a dealer and found a great mechanic who said Dodge is notorious for it. Chrysler does not stand behind its product. It has been in for TSBs about 5 times. No good when we tote kids. I sunk a lot of money into this thing and I wish it would sink into mud and never be seen again. The only good thing: sto and go is great, it is pretty comfortable, gas mileage not too bad. If I weren't so much into debt in it, I would trade it in!

Sto and go, room

Like others: fire the quality control, fire the engineers. Seriously, study your competition -even our Ford Explorer has been great- and learn why those cars do well. Dodge, your vehicles are not good at all. You should stand behind your product!!

Ugh!
By bubbaroo

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this vechile just under two years ago. The tranny has never felt right, but they insist it is normal. Is it normal to roll back on a hill, I don't think so! As of today, I have had to replace brakes, bearings and steering column. That is the one that really gets me. It's an obvious factory defect, the seal went, and because I'm 5000 over warranty mileage on a 2 year old car, Chrysler/Dodge will not even help out with the repair a little. As much as I love the stow and go and the ride, I will not buy another Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep product. They do not stand by their product nor do they help their customers. Spend your money somewhere else, I know we will!

Stow n Go

Better quality, better customer service.

Electrical problems
By rosenjohn

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Electrical problems has caused this car to be in the dealers garage 10 or 12 times since purchase. Most common is right rear wheel ABS speed sensor which has been replaced 3 times. Several other 'check engine' have resulted in computer program upgrades. We like the car but do not feel it is reliable.