Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 173 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Don't waste your money on a Dodge
By jonlynn

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I did a lot of research prior to buying my minivan. Somehow this thing came up good. I shoud've trusted my instinct and walked away from the dealer. No wonder Chrysler is going under. Like everyone else: 16k- new brakes and again at 31k! I finally did not go to a dealer and found a great mechanic who said Dodge is notorious for it. Chrysler does not stand behind its product. It has been in for TSBs about 5 times. No good when we tote kids. I sunk a lot of money into this thing and I wish it would sink into mud and never be seen again. The only good thing: sto and go is great, it is pretty comfortable, gas mileage not too bad. If I weren't so much into debt in it, I would trade it in!

Sto and go, room

Like others: fire the quality control, fire the engineers. Seriously, study your competition -even our Ford Explorer has been great- and learn why those cars do well. Dodge, your vehicles are not good at all. You should stand behind your product!!

Ugh!
By bubbaroo

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this vechile just under two years ago. The tranny has never felt right, but they insist it is normal. Is it normal to roll back on a hill, I don't think so! As of today, I have had to replace brakes, bearings and steering column. That is the one that really gets me. It's an obvious factory defect, the seal went, and because I'm 5000 over warranty mileage on a 2 year old car, Chrysler/Dodge will not even help out with the repair a little. As much as I love the stow and go and the ride, I will not buy another Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep product. They do not stand by their product nor do they help their customers. Spend your money somewhere else, I know we will!

Stow n Go

Better quality, better customer service.

Electrical problems
By rosenjohn

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Electrical problems has caused this car to be in the dealers garage 10 or 12 times since purchase. Most common is right rear wheel ABS speed sensor which has been replaced 3 times. Several other 'check engine' have resulted in computer program upgrades. We like the car but do not feel it is reliable.

My Grand Caravan is crappy
By mchivers

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Many, many, many little problems. Automatic doors not working, burnt out taillight, automatic doorlocks not working, stuck headrest, brakes had to be replaced at 17,000 miles, random noises, AC blower not working, driver side electric window not working. We had a '96 before, drove the wheels off of it and had no problems. Someone at the factory must have been drunk when this lemon rolled out the door.

All the features I bought it for are very convenient when they work

Dodge needs to fire their quality control department.

Nice features, but engine and tranny bad
By Brian

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The visible parts of the car are great. The body is good, the interior fit and finish is good, the "Stow 'n Go" is great, the engine is plenty powerful. I like the car for its features. Mechanically, I am extremely disappointed. There is a constant rubbing sound coming out of the front- left upper strut mount over even little bumps, the engine uses about 3.5 quarts of oil between oil changes (3000 miles), the transmission clunks (and the car jumps) when down-shifting when you take your foot off the gas. I have reported these issues numerous times, but the "factory rep" keeps telling me that they are within design specs and won't fix it. Give me a break! No more Dodges for me!

Stow 'n' Go. Green LED in overhead console illuminates floor area at night. Nice ride. Nice Stereo (I have the Infinity), Steering wheel controls (Cruise and Stereo) are easy to use.

The problems that I am having with mine are listed in numerous TSBs, but they are for the "Caravan", not the "Grand Caravan". They are for the same engine and transmission, so why don't they count. I have two 2005 Dodge vehicles and they both have problems. They need to get their act together!