Used 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Great Van BUT...
By carolinagirl2579

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Anniversary Edition Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I really love this van and until two months ago would have recommended it to anyone. My van is the ultimate road-trip vehicle but in two months, has been in the dealership for repairs to the ENGINE twice! I think for the money its a great vehicle, even though it doesn't have as much interior room as the new Hondas and Toyotas but I'm wondering how long its going to last. As a high mileage driver, I'm feeling like it isn't made well enough to stand up to the pressure. Also, Dodge could have used decent quality trim materials inside but again, for the price its a fantastic van. Still worried about the engine and its "issues".

The DVD player, ergonomics of the driver's seat, power doors and liftgate.

Upgraded interior trim materials instead of cheap plastic and nicer leather on the seats.

Nice
By jagfan

I am very pleased to date with our Caravan. The DVD system with the remote headphones is a blessing on long drives. Had one problem with the driver's side window, dealership replaced a voltage regulator. Gas mileage is not quite getting what I had hoped, about 17-19 MPG.

DVD system, sound system, info controller

Gas mileage

Great price, but not such a great van
By Jay

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I traded a Chevy Venture for the Grand caravan. The mileage has been way below what Chrysler quotes. We have had numerous problems with the A/C, although they cannot duplicate the problem. The pick up isn't the greatest, especially up hills. It is great on the highway, smooth and comfy. I probably will not buy another.

I like the bucket seats all around, although the Chevy they each moved up and back allowing for long legged passengers. I miss door pockets and double seat pockets. The rollers on the seats are great to remove them. I like the passenger and driver can choose their own temperature setting.

Washer fluid on rear window "puddles" instead of spraying on window. The release lever on the seats is hard to release. The cup colders are cheap, but I noticed they improved in "05. Window and lock buttons would be easier if on the door armrest instead of the door panel. Cargo net would be great.

Our second Dodge van
By Gerry

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought with 14800 miles on the odometer and since have driven it 2000 miles. It rides and outperforms the 98 Grand Caravan that we had traded in. This is one of the one of the most user friendly vehicles on the road. We had great luck with our old one for 5 years and 122,000 miles and expect the same from our 2004 model.

The utility is wonderful. My wife is an artist and we have room for all her easels and supplies plus canvases with room left over.

None.

My Thoughts
By Gene E. Waktz

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I currently have a 2004 model. This is
my second Dodge Caravan. The first was
a 1999 which performed very well. When
I traded it in on the current one it
had 69000 miles. The only problem I had
with it was the emergency brake unit
which had to be replaced at around
20000 miles, it was covered by the
warrenty. The main reason I traded was
the great financial deals they were
offering at the time. I did upgrade to
a larger V6 engine. There is a big
difference in performance. I also added
the power sliding doors, great.

The visability and the ride is great. The arrangement of the dash is very good. The engineering of the interier details are very good.

The only thing I can think of is the location of the powwer outlet. In my 1999 it was in the rear of the rear wheel well cover. On the 2004 it was mover the the front of the rear wheel well cover. On trips I use a cooling chest which I plug in.