Used 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Love to Hate
By John

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this off the showroom floor with 10 miles on it. It drove very well, but on the drive home we noticed a problem with the back taillight wirering.Fixed. Then, noisy side doors. Road noise is not fun to listen to. After 7 years and 80000 miles not unsatisfied, just a little unhappy what we have to live with. We had a flat and the aluminum rim isn't straight anymore, mileage and a wobble is still a bummer. New waterpump, tuneup, but no major costs. I am noticing a slower startup and going down road the tack jumps, maybe fuel fiter. The plastic is wearing but the seats are still well made, leather. I will look at this each time I buy from now on. Outside paint is still looking good.

Two power side doors, duel temp control.

Stow and go seats. Blue carpet fades.

Cruising in a Caravan
By J.D.

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Ample features like heated seats, CD/cassette options w/steering wheel controls and power tailgate boost its appeal. The 17" shiny chrome wheels add a sporty flair. Transmission is a little jerky at times from 1st to 2nd gear. Fuel evaporator hoses have been causing check engine light to come on. Replaced 2 hoses in less than a year. Comfortable ride and plenty of power.

Steering wheel controls and power tailgate and power side doors.

Improve fuel hose system and tire sensors. Getting message to get tire sensor serviced but tires are fairly new and maintained.

Wish I never bought this car
By Jen

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've spent over $8,000 in engine repairs & maintenance the 5+ years that I've owned this car. Unfortunately, I've had endless mechanical problems and the car has litterally spent weeks in the shop over the 5+ years, meaning that I had to pay for a rental car out of pocket, while van was being repaired. I wish I never bought this car. I wish I would have gone for the Honda Odessey or the Toyota Sierra instead for a van. It frustrating dealing with the local Dodge Dealer for repairs, as they don't seem to value the customer's time enough. On the positive side, the interior of the Caravan is nice enough and comfortable for my family of 4--but my mechanical problems outweighed this.

Dual sliding rear passenger doors are a must with little kids (with hindsight wish I had paid extra to get the automatic/remote door & hatch opening & closing feature.) Front & rear air conditioning controls. I like the Distance to Empty feature on the gas gauge. Lots of adjustable cupholde

Don't put the exhaust pipe right below the bumper, as it always makes black exhaust dust all over the exterior of the back of the van. Rear seats that fold into the floor would be a definite improvement. Car is very noisy due to engine noise & road noise. Make it all quieter.

Transmission problems
By caravan driver

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I had transmission problems with a previous model (1998 voyager se). When looking to buy the 2002 model, the salesman assured me that the transmission problems had been takem care of. He was wrong! Within a few months, there was a noticable bump in upshifting from 1st to 2nd. I took it to the dealer service dept, and they found nothing wrong. They said they did a "quick learn" on the transmission (never told me what that meant, even after i asked). Still a problem, took it back twice more over the next two years, they never admitted their was a problem. It's not a major issue yet, but it's getting worse. I'll never buy another Dodge product.

A great ride, but not reliable
By jdryer

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van at a year old with only 29,000 miles on it. I can say this is one of the most comfortable autos I've ever owned and there have been quite a few. But as for reliability, not so good an auto. When I bought the van it had a noise from the engine that sounded like a cricket. After many attempts the dealership replaced one of the pulleys and that fixed that. I've had to replace steering gear, at total repair charge of $605, at 46,895 miles. I've had an off and on oil leak. Now at 62,000 miles I seem to be having transmission "issues". Wish me luck on that one. Overall, would I buy another Dodge Caravan? Yes, but only if the dealership throws in an extended warranty.

Comfort, and engine responsivness.

Reliability and gas mileage improvments