Used 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Best vehicle we've ever had
By John

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Sorry to read that some others don't share my opinion. We bought this Grand Caravan from a rental car company in May of 2000. It had 47,000 miles on it when we got it. It now has over 131,000, and has been nearly troublefree. From memory, the things we've had to fix: two speed sensors, one window regulator. Everything else has been normal wear and tear. I've kept up with the factory maintenance schedule, and have changed the oil every 3K-4K miles. Just a week and a half ago we did a 900-mile round trip to attend an out-of-state wedding. We've also made many trips to Florida, most recently this past summer. It's been a great van.

Hauling capacity, removable seats, rear air

They need to come up with a better way to replace the rear bank spark plugs. The plugs cost maybe $20, but replacing them, due to the problems of getting to the rear bank, is a $300 proposition. The good news is they're designed to go 100,000 miles.

What a toilet
By Dave

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

100000 miles and many of them to and from the shop. Fuel pump failure, belt tensioner failure, starter failure, brake jobs every 15K; its one thing after another. Interior is nice, comfortable, but the wind noise necessitates cranking the volume to hear the music. Brakes are terrible, feels like the car isn't going to stop, and handles like a truck. Has a lot of room for hauling, and when you step on it, it has power (3.8L eng).Wife likes it though the mechanical failures have put us in the market for a new van--NOT a Caravan. Anybody want to buy a Sport model Caravan?

A lot of room for storage and comfortable.

Brakes that last a mere 15K or less is criminal! Reliability is pathetic and costs for repairs is exhorbitant. Looks great but what a stinker!

Van needed major work
By Major work needed

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I currently have 87000 mi, so far I have had to replace my transmission and blew the head gasket. Over $4000 in repairs and I have only owned it for 3 years. Although there are not any major repairs on the horizon (knock on wood) the van is simply falling apart with all the rattles in and out of the vehicle. It has been wonderful to have such a pratical vehicle, however I hate to drive this car any farther than 1 hour,uncomfortable on long trips. This was my second Dodge and the second Dodge that needed a transmission. Any loose bags of stuff roll around in the back, other makes have a well for the seat and that prevents the rolling of stuff. Look at the Toyotas or Hondas.

Captain chairs in middle row. Although I can get that on other makes. Rear air is wonderful, again I can get that on other makes.

More comfortable seats. Better transmission. Thank you for the new stow and go seating, should have thouhgt of that in 1999, 2 people are needed to remove the rear seat. Lots of road noise. Vinyl on under side of seats is cracking. cupholders don't hold bottles of water and are falling apart.

Very pleased
By tk1780

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Very surprised at the reliability of this van. We have 135,000 on it and have taken it out west 7 times and to Florida 3 times and never a problem. Tires, brakes and shocks so far. One secret is that we change the trans fluid every 30,000 miles. I think that is why the transmission has lasted so long. The engine is smooth. 19 mpg in town 24 on hiway. It is a great value. Can't believe it has lasted so long.

Size is great for trips

After 6 years we are satisfied
By george

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

We purchased this van new with a tow package since it included the transmission cooler (fearing the infamous failures). So far we have done regular maintenance. About $2500 worth over 6 years and completed 2 recalls. The only out of warranty repairs have been the serpentine belt pulley ($100) and a transmission speed sensor at 40K miles($150). Much better then our Volvo 850 wagon which needed a timing belt and water pump new window switches, and radio at 17K miles. This car has travelled from California to Maryland and from Florida to Canada on our vacations without any problems. I hope it lasts another 5 years.

Spaciousness and the ability to haul all kinds of things from building supplies to furniture.

Plastic door runners show wear easily. Paint quality at factory could have been better, but the paint is holding up so far. The chrome "SPORT" and "DODGE" emblems have faded also.