Used 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Candy Apple Red Money Pit!
By JD

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

We purchased our 1998 Grand Caravan with the K Package (towing) and followed the maintenance recommendations closely. We never towed anything, but the transmission cooler and better suspension is why I opted for this. At 140,000 miles I was reluctant to part with it, until I reviewed my spread sheet showing how much I have sunk into repairs. We had the extened warranty, which helped when the belt tensioner failed just under a year. The dealer had sold the policy to another company and I spent several hours finding out who would back the claim. Brakes were recurrant issue, needing repair or replacement. Seems the rotors don't hold up well. Then the computer failed, and you can only get refurbished ones now. My mechanic and two Dodge dealers couldn't fix the hesitation and engine miss problem. My wife was afraid to drive the van and purchased another car. I took the van to a fourth shop on the recommendation of a friend. They assessed the car as needing a new transmission, another computer, water pump was going, etc. They estimated about $7500 in needed repairs. This for a well maintained easily driven vehicle. This is not right, and after talking with many people and doing a lot of internet research, I recommend steering clear of Dodge and Chrysler products. The reliability continues to be an issue. As a bench mark, my '77 Chevy LUV had around 200,000 miles when I let it go, and I am still driving my reliable '87 Chevy S-10 Blazer with 265,000 miles. The repair bills were and are substantially less for these. I was raised to buy good equipment and take care of it and it will last. Unfortunately the good equipment element was lacking for the Caravan. I later noticed that Consumer Reports Magazine gave the Dodge Caravans an exceptionally poor rating over about a ten year period.

173,000 miles and counting!
By amy47

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 4dr Minivan

I love this van.
No major problems other than replacing a few water pumps and the starter once and the A/C; otherwise, just routine maintenance.
I have had absolutely no reliability problems until I hit 170,000 miles.
Now I have occasional electrical problems that won't allow the car to start about once a month.
So far the mechanic can't find the problem, but we're working on it.
I want to see how far she goes!
She may not be the flashiest or the most powerful minivan out there, but she has my admiration for her longevity and relatively problem-free service.

The short wheel base is the perfect size for my family of four. We always have ample room on long family trips. It's much easier to maneuver and park and I still have room for almost all my cargo hauling by removing the seats. The beige/gold exterior hides dirt so well, I rarely have to wash it. The beige cloth/vinyl interior looks clean and in brand new condition after 14 years. What can I say, it's perfect!

Bring back the short wheel base, please, and the gold interior! I'm stuck with choosing between a 2006-07 Town & Country Base, or a 2007-10 Kia Sedona Base as my next car. I'd like to have more options!

best van dodge
By jasonw120

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

this is my 2nd van 1st was a 1997 voyager mini van, the thing was awsum , i bought it for 100 bucks 140 k miles on it knew trany owner told me tranny was bad replaced it 160k miles had to replace motor ran like a tank in snow, durung pa,s

snowmagaden storm in 2009 i damn near used as a snowpow i couldent get stuck if i tryed, i volunteer for fire dept and red cross and took 7 people to shelter during heat of storm with 2 feet of snow on groundm, did not have any problems at all, finly a 1998 dodge grand sport with 180k on it fell in to my lap, it was a fleet leased and company mantined van it is great looken no rust still looks new man dose it got balls to for a van, great van love it

cd,tape player sounds great has base to, lost of room for hulling runs great in snow

better interior to plane and better pin striping try sun roof would be nice

Great van
By Not my first rodeo

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We bought it new in '98, it now has 179k on it with only the normal maintenance. The local Grease Monkey franchise flushed the transmission at 120k and cracked the lines which blew out all the fluid while on a trip to Nashville. Time for a new tranny at my expense as they accepted no blame even though they admitted they'd cracked the lines. Go figure that one. Only complaint is the headlights don't put out a lot of light, otherwise everything has worked since day one. I'd recommend the Caravan to anyone.

Dual A/C controls and rear-heating.

Improved headlights.

Love it , But eh....
By Daniel_Lee

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

well I love This van I have had multiple cravans, But this is my first ES with the 3.8 and damn this thing hauls balls it has the tow package 17 in wheels tan leather and auto headlamps, remote start(aftermarket) This van is amazing for all the family. kids love it I Love driving it personally My wife doesn't like how I drive but what can I say It corners well never got stuck love the traction control , not a fan of it locking when keys are in ignition locks when you shut any slider or passenger door its weird but oh well just make sure I have the keys on me ^_^ been problem free routine maintenance one new transmission because the other was faulty

traction control, 3.8 litre engine ,leather, gas mileage is eh.... 17-18mpg 27 on the hwy !

just because the van has the tow package doesnt mean it has to tow like a truck ride could be cushier but all in all good van make it smoother and the wipers are funky and my black van looks blue now ?