Used 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Love my Caravan
By Andra

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

This is the 2nd Caravan that we have had. The first left us for a new home with 215K. This one has 181K and is still trucking. It has a new transmission. The only thing that I don't care for with in comparing the '97 with the '89 was that you lost head room when they rounded it. I liked it better squared off. We get good gas mileage, about 26 highway, 22 around town. It has been a good, reliable car.

It handles well in all conditions, including snow.

Squaring it off will give more carrying space.

500 $ every 6months in repair is routine
By fannaba

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

Performance is as expected from a minivan. frequent annoying problems are the major drawback. Breaks are soft, with below average stopping power. I love the space, the captain seats, and the dual air conditioning, with front, and back ducts.

Cheap to buy, lots of features that you have to pay $$ for in other brands. However, all that is probably offset by the poor reliability, and frequent need for repair.

Better fuel economy, more reliability for God's sake. Visiting the dealer twice a year for repairs is not only costly, but also annoying, and time consuming. This vehicle gives no warning of impending trouble.

Still Going After 209K Miles!
By Ron Irwin

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan AWD

Well, I finally had to put some significant dollars into my van, but much less than any new car I might purchase. Runs like a new one with a factory rebuilt tranny (old transmission had trouble with low gear, but otherwise ran great). Have run Mobile One synthetic oil in the van since it was new, and the oil added 10% to my gas mileage (20-24 MPG with the 3.8L V6). Change oil and filter once a year (20-25K miles). Will keep this van until the wheels fall off! Very happy with the purchase and performance of this vehicle.

AWD, power everything, mileage, storage space, comfort.

Dodge should make another AWD version.

My first of three
By Deere1939B

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

I also needed a larger vehicle for a growing family. Looked at Ford and Mopar, and went with this because of recommendations. Has been a very good vehicle for 4 years. Bought it with 56K, and now have 165K on it. Had some normal mech maintenance, including valve job, gas tank fuel pump, serpentine idler bracket, etc. It is still fairly easy to work on, but then I got the Dodge shop manual. The book is worth it's weight in gold. Only thing I really don't like is the headlights. They become opaque and crystalized with age. $200 for a new one? I think not. It does everything. I haven't used my pickup for three years because I pull a trailer with the van, with loads of room inside.

Versatility. Comfort.

I have the 3.3, so more power, but I knew that going in. My next two vans were GCs from 1997 and 1999 with AWD. That solved the traction issue on mud, snow, and ice.

This is America's Best?
By Diller

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan 3dr Minivan

Sold our 1988 Grand Caravan & bought this despite a miserable reputation. Overall pretty good, but lots of "little" problems. Grab handles fall off, fuel gauge swings erraticly and "dings" randomly. Check engine light goes on but mechanic cannot locate problem. Wipers don't always work.Rubber door gaskets have long since disappeared. Still have it after 8 years because: it has more passenger room than Suburbans, the cloth seats look almost new (raised 3 boys & more dogs) The ride is fairly smooth. (the standard suspension is WAY too soft.) Infinity stereo is greatand van still looks good. Wife wants a big SUV. Kids grown, getting a Ducati & a Mini instead!

Good interior room, tinted privacy glass, great Infinity stereo. Reasonably good power (3.3L) smooth ride.

How about better small parts? Cup holders, storage compartments, grab handles, visor clips, ALL Broken.