2014 Dodge Durango Consumer Review: Nothing Better In Its Class!

2014 Dodge Durango - Consumer Review

Citadel 4dr SUV (3.6L V6 AWD 8-speed Automatic)

Nothing Better In Its Class!
By dbalsam on

2014 Dodge Durango Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

My wife and I are still shocked we are driving a Durango.
Wife traded her 2008 Infiniti QX56 which she loved but it had a lot of miles on it so it was time for something new/newer.
Cross-shopped QX56, QX60, Pathfinder, Acadia, Enclave, MDX, Explorer.
Stumbled upon Durango Citadel model and was shocked.
The interior quality and tech options are amazing and the exterior is unique as well.
Drives so nice and smooth.
Ton of looks by people trying to figure out what it is as there are not many on the road.
If they sold under Jeep as Extended Grand Cherokee they would sell a ton as it is built on same platform along with Mercedes GL SUV.
Ok though as I like our "secret".
Test drive one!
***UPDATE****
Just crossed 45,000 in our Durango and came back from an extended Thanksgiving trip to Chicago. Still loving the Durango. We are averaging around 19mpg with mostly city driving and a little highway driving. At 75mph on highway I can easily get 24mpg which I am very happy with. We have had only one issue with the Durango besides the typical re-flash recalls Chrysler had for the Uconnect. We had a small leak on rear AC line due to a faulty rubber grommet that held salt/road grime to eat away at it. Dealer fixed under warranty with no issue. Flawless otherwise. I don't complain about the re-flash recalls as they were done at oil change time and didn't affect the way the car drove. That is what we all get with technology. Transmission is silky smooth as well as the AWD. We take this north to our Michigan cabin in winter and it drives very well in deep snow. I am still amazed at how it handles and drives for a larger SUV. It drives so much smaller and reacts instantly to driver steering input and corners well for its size. I have no complaints about the vehicle although I do wish the Citadel picked up some smaller adds that the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland receives such as: Auto dimming passenger mirror, folding mirrors, puddle lights, leather dash and upper panels. It would be nice if they could bump the HP some on the Pentastar V6 for a little better acceleration, but it is fine as is. We loved the Durango so much that I just purchased an off-lease 14' Jeep GC Overland for myself. My wife primarily drives the Durango. Driving both I will say the Durango feels more planted and firmer vs. the Overland which I prefer. If you are looking for a three-row SUV I would highly recommend driving one to consider. No squeaks or rattles either as it seems very well put together.

• Outward visibility
  • Bluetooth
  • Purchase cost
  • Fuel economy
  • Maintenance cost

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review