Used 2011 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Wasn't looking for a Durango, But....
By Jim

2011 Dodge Durango R/T 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was actually looking at a Ford Explorer but after a test drive, I wasn't impressed for the price tag. Found this Durango on the "used" lot and after a test drive, went into to make a deal. After driving for a few weeks, I love it. It had all the bells and whistles for thousands less than a many "standard" new SUV's I looked at. I don't have a commute for work so the gas mileage wasn't a factor, and it's not that bad. After owning several six cylinder vehicles, the 5.8 liter Hemi is a pleasure to drive. When going over a speed bump or other road roughness, it sometimes has a weird "clunk" that I can't seem to identify and is a bit worrisome, but otherwise I love it so far.

Lemon
By Nick C

2011 Dodge Durango Crew 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2011 Durango crew awd used with 33k miles in good condition. At 67k miles the alternator went out and killed the battery with it. Left my wife and kids stranded in the middle of the road. There is not a voltage gauge on the vehicle to give any warning not were there any performance problems before hand to indicate an issue. Did research and found that the alternators on the 3.6 pentastar dodges had a recall. Contacted dodge and mine conveniently wasn't covered because it is 210 amp not the 160 amp that's covered. At 72k miles the front tires wore very badly and steering was all over the place. Had to replace inner and outer tie rods along with tires and alignment. There is a intermittant clunking noise while driving coming from the front end. Took a Saturday to investigate where the noise was coming from only to find oil pouring out of the top of the motor and several oil leaks in various places on the engine. Did more research and found that the genius engineers designed a plastic oil cooler/filter combo that sits under the intake manifold and is prone to failure on these engines. Had to order the part and spend two days fixing replacing the part because again the engineers placed the motor about an inch and a half too far under the cowl to make this a semi easy repair. Fast forward to 82k miles the starter went out again leaving my wife stranded at the store. Towed to the dealership... $1000 repair...to replace a starter. Attempted to do it myself but due to the position of the starter in conjunction with the motor mount and see made it a near impossible task on a garage floor. Still have a clunking noise in the front end I'm assuming is the cv axles, but am so frustrated with this vehicle that I'm looking forward to trading it in on a non dodge vehicle. Dodge has offered no support nor stood behind their product so I can no longer stand behind them

Alternator and PCM failure 2011 Dodge Durango
By Mayra L

2011 Dodge Durango Citadel 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

2011 Dodge Durango the alternator and PCM go out and they did not cover under recall. All of these Dodge vehicles need to be covered regardless of amps. I will never buy Dodge again!!!!

Awesome SUV! Buy it! Even though its a Dodge
By Huge Durango Fan

2011 Dodge Durango Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2011 durango citadel v 8 AWD brand new in late 2011. Ive had it 4 years now and have about 25,000 miles on it. (My commute to work is short). My previous suv was the Toyota Sequoia limited, and before that we had a land rover discovery. The toyota was very reliable and i was afraid with the poor reputation of chrysler/dodge products, i would be visiting the dodge service center a lot with the durango. I got every option dodge offered on the durango citadel: heated and cooled seats, blind spot monitoring, sunroof, all wheel drive, heated steering wheel, in ceiling video system, Nav, and much more. I assumed with all these gadgets i would see the service department on a regular basis. I really loved the redesigned 2011 durango /grand cherokee styling on the exterior and also the interior of the 2011 durango and i was willing to take the risk. We needed the third row seat so that excluded he grand cherokee. I didnt know about a lot of the neat interior lighting until i owned it and drove it at night. I passed on a new Toyota Sequoia and the land rover lr4, and im really glad i did. This vehicle is awesome. With around 380 HP IT WILL FLY. It drives like a sports car but can carry 7 people to the ski resort with ease. Its great on long trips with the heated and cooled seats, and it is real quiet on the road. The hemi v8 with dual exhaust also has a great sound. It carries our kids with ease, they can watch movies while my wife and i can talk, and it can tow a trailer/boat with ease. This truck has been near flawless. Its had better reliability than my Toyota Sequoia. The durango has just been to the shop for oil changes, tire rotations, and regular maintenance. Everything has worked perfect since day 1. The vehicle has surprised me with the quality, even with all the things on it that could go wrong. Dodge got this suv right, and i assume the models from 2012 to 2105 are great choices also. The only dislike is the width of the factory roof luggage rack. On trips, we use a Thule luggage box and put bikes on the roof. Its tight. I wish the luggage bars were wider. I highly recommend this suv.

High hopes; Big disappointments
By metro21

2011 Dodge Durango Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it brand new. 2 years and 36k later:

Good: Nice design in and out. Looks amazing when clean. Smooth powerful V8 Hemi. Tops in towing. Actual useable 3rd row seating.

Bad: Exterior build quality is complete junk. The front bumper pops out and is now cracking like its going to fall off. The exterior mirror housing is frayed and already replaced only to have the same problem return. Tail lights feel loose and move when touched. The drivers door is not aligned with the rest of the body. Car has failed to start once- apparently a known issue with Dodges- failing TIPM's (Google it for more info.). Hemi spark plugs have to be changed every 30k miles. Recommended gas is 89.

Blue interior LED lighting, the Hemi power/ smoothness, sexy design, interior build quality, Garmin based navigation.

Improve exterior build quality!!! No wonder Dodge and other US automakers have been (and still are) behind the foreigners. It was also very difficult to find all the features that I wanted in the same car. Dodge had a very complex system where options get put together on cars that make no sense.