Used 2002 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

My SUV
By Bryan

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My Durango belonged to my grandmother who worked on the assembly line in Detroits Dodge factory so it means a lot to me. It runs like a dream my friends love it we call it the Dragon! Smooth ride gr8 handing reminds me of my BMW around turns, keep up with the oil changes, rotate the tires for stability. Acceleration is AMAZING better than the 2010 BMW X5 mine has 72,600 on it put 1,300 on it this weekend on a trip from VA to Detroit and it was gr8 very reliable. Ive seen Durangos with 190k on them. gr8 SAFE 1st car for high school/college students. Ive been in 2 front end collisions in it and walked away from both without a scratch even on the 40 mph collision the medic was shocked

I like the power under the hood the engine sounds gr8 Leather looks gr8 after all these years trunk in ground storage is gr8 sound system is gr8 for a stock system 4wd is amazing in the snow and mud a college students dream holds up Gr8 in accidents! Jerked the wheel going 70 mph and NO roll!

Breaks worry me at times breaking hard sometimes they slip, improve the quality of interior parts. Everything is plastic Mopar could learn a thing or 2 from European manufactures.

Still going
By maro71

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Durango even though it only 2WD. I have been the one and only owner. I used to live in Hawaii and really didn't see a need for 4wd until I moved to PA. Anyway My wife and I get a good tuneup on the regular. We've had a few bumps on the road but they have been few and far in between. Most of our issues has been the mechanics didn't know what the heck they were doing. In Hawaii for example our mechanic told us that spark plugs only need changing every 2 years or something. Month later the truck stalled. Come to find out the spark plugs had burned out along with the wires. Overall I've really love it. It's not too big or too small. Just right.

I love the V8 engine though.

We got the 2wd sport with no frills but it was alright with me. I wish the back window would roll down so my dog could just chill out.

It's been a great vehicle
By DrivinTexas

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Beyond some difficulty with the front suspension in the first few years, this has been a dependable vehicle. I really like the size -- it is big enough for dogs, garden equipment, and moving. Compared to the newer (bigger) SUVs it is pretty nimble. I was surprised by comments on fuel usage. On my last long trip I got 18.3 mpg, and because the throttle body needed cleaning, it wasn't even running that smoothly. Some efficient driving habits will probably drive up anyone's mileage, because I'm not doing anything special.

The interior has held up to teenagers, farm dirt, and animals. Everything on it still works and nothing is broken despite family wear and tear.

I would like to be able to remove the roof racks when they are not being used.

Loves the truck but hates the repairs
By drivesalot

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle for its looks and comfort on longer drives but it's constantly in the shop! After purchasing it I found out about all the down falls it has even though I looked for the negatives. When it gets to over 125,000 mi expect to have engine troubles soon after! Everyone I have met with one no matter how good they maintain theirs has had blown heads and needed new engines. Its great for getting through heavy snows but I have practically rebuilt the truck part by part since I bought it! No repair on it is cheap either. Even though I like the this vehicle if I could go back I would choose something else. I have put $1000s in repairs starting from a few months after purchasing it.

Being in an area where we get several ft of snow at a time I like the ability to change to 4X4 when the roads are getting worse.

Building them with more dependable parts! After 50,000 miles everything starts breaking over and over again. I have replaced some parts twice in four yrs. The engine is the worst repair yet!

So far so good
By jccables

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This vehicle had 125,000 miles on it and that's not a typo. Was a little wary of purchasing a vehicle with this amount of mileage on it but so far it's been an amazing vehicle. traded in my girlfriends Nissan 240 sx for this in light of having another child and needing a 3rd row seat. after putting over 5 thousand miles on it it still runs very good. my only complaint is the brakes. They work too well. I'm not as confident braking it as i should be because the anti lock works so well that if you push down even slightly too fast you'll snap everyone's neck with how harsh the stop is. took a lot of getting used to but other than that have no complaints about the vehicle.

LOVE the black on black interior with the wood grain, the throaty V-8 is amazing and extremely smooth, sound system is great for stock and ride is extremely quiet on the highway for an SUV. The ride height is great and I'm looking forward to winter in it. Heated leather seats are def. a plus then :)

the brakes. and a minor detail in the engine bay. Why does the coolant overflow have NO tubing to route it to the ground. When purchased they did a complete top off of fluids and noticed coolant just spraying everywhere when i stopped and looked in the engine bay. not good for certain components