Used 1998 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Bought Used, Wrecked Once, Still Keeping
By redhight

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

1st SUV, 1st Dodge. Tow pkg, 5.9 eng, w/23k miles. Drove everywhere on/offroad, towed trailer, horse, moving van. Lowered the back seats and hauled firewood, hay, camping gear. Rearended a 1-ton p-up 4 yrs ago, got it fixed and she's fine! Loaned it out to friends and family, too. Just under 130k miles now. Needs tie-rod, ball joint, front end align and heater-core replacement. Except for gas mileage woes, virtually no maintenance on this Durango but oil/radiator fluid changes and brakes. Drove at avg. speeds of 65+ After 7 yrs it's still going with less than $4k in repairs? Is there a problem? Nope. Will pass it to my daughter when I'm done.

Power and speed! Front seat comfort. Safety level. Strong and sexy body style. Always starts in freezing weather when stored outside! Leather upholstery, so far, bulletproof

Gas mileage! Make it travel down the road a bit more quietly, that'd be nice.

I will never buy another
By Joe

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 Durango with only 42K miles on it. At first it was great until the brakes started to squeak after 2 weeks. I tried 3 different brands of brakes pads and bought new rotors but they still were making the noise. I gave up. Then 2 months later the transfer case seals started to leak which I later found to be a common problem. That was a $300 repair with only 50K miles on the truck. I liked the room and the looks but with such poor gas mileage and build quality, I cut my losses. Never again. The truck also developed quite a bit of surface rust. The truck was sold after 11 months of ownership. So much for Dodge.

The room and agressive looks.

Build a truck that does not fall apart after 50K miles!

Money Pit--Slick looks, sickly quality
By My Dodge Is Junk

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The gas mileage I expected (around 12), the trips to the shop are ridiculous-- water pump, heater blower, power driver's seat motor, head gasket, rear a/c, etc etc etc. I can't believe a vehicle that stickered for $37K can be such a piece of junk at 100k miles. Had 100K warranty thank God, but even then the dealer said clunking noise in tranny reverse is normal, whistling noise in heater blower is normal...words can't describe my disappointment. On my way to go trade it for a Nissan Murano

Looks great, comfortable, just terrible quality

Quality

Wish I could afford to drive
By brokefromgasprices

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Durango; it has every feature including the sickest aftermarket sunroof I've ever seen. This SUV is the most beautiful on the market in my opinion. But I just can't afford to drive it ever. I haven't been out of town since owning it! This SUV is so plush and comfortable, with a tight turning radius and a ride like a Cadillac, like you're driving around sitting on your couch. Infinity speakers stink though. I blew out the side ones within a week. My Durango reminds me of something seen in a classic car collection. It should be looked at and admired for its beauty and quality but never ever driven. I'll miss it when it's gone but I love to drive too much to keep it.

Plush interior, digital readouts, comfortable seats, huge roomy interior with enough room to cart around 7 adult friends. Beautifully styled exterior. Stadium seating for 2nd and 3rd row seats. Large side-view mirrors; you won't miss anything.

Gas mileage. It's the only problem with this wonderful vehicle. Oh yeah, better stereo speakers.

Don't forget your wallet on trips
By not a fan

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I like the fact that this car has never left me stranded, but I only get 11 MPG in town and 15 MPG on the highway! My keyless entry only works when it wants to, and my security alarm goes off even when it's parked in the garage for no apparent reason! My biggest complaint though is the gas mileage. It's very poor. I could understand if I were pulling a trailer, but not just cruising down the highway.

Reliable shift-on-the-fly 4WD

Better gas mileage, more comfortable seats.