Used 1998 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Love of my life
By maxposner

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought this truck, I needed a backup truck for my business, and a car to haul my children around. I was asked many times how I liked it, and always replied that I needed to put more miles on it. Well It has been over 10 years, and 193k original exhaust, 4 sets of tires, and very little maintenance. The tranny finally gave up(plugged cooler line),and I need to replace the blower motor.This truck has pulled everything, hauled everything(I've bent the springs), driven hundreds of miles in 4wd through blizzards and drifts, it could quit and I wouldn't fault it, I don't baby anything, this one has been used and abused, it will last forever. 22 mpg, 65 MPH lightly loaded. 13 MPG, 75 mph, heavy load.

4wd, tow pack, styling,ergonomics, and that marvelous 318

quieter blower

Get your own
By Love It

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV is almost perfect. It's large, it powerful, great design, comfort like a spendy luxury, reliable as they come and very fun. I had to replace a $3 valve in the AC, a battery and the normal brakes and tires in the 8 years i have had it. Other than that all my paycheck goes toward gas but its worth it.

Looks, comfort, heads up display, 4X4 on the fly

Shifter in the center console instead of the column, would like 50MPG (wouldn't we all)!!

Love my Mopar
By Love MOPAR

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this with 23,000 miles and now it has 96,000, and I must say I love my Mopar. It's true gas mileage needs a lot of work. But hey... it holds all 5 kids and the wife. It pulls the boat like there isn't anything behind it. Had the sterio replaced along with the speakers, and now we rock out, driving down the road. This truck has never left us stranded. There was never a time I would wonder if she'd start. Very reliable, 318 power plant can't be beat. Gone across country 3 times on a whims notice, never once had any issue. Set the cruise control to 85 and eased down the road, though we stopped several times for gasoline. I will drive her til she can't go anymore.

Dependabilty, quiet ride, towing package. Yeah, boy is she tough

Gas mileage is the only thing that needs improvement.

Durango rocks
By DurangoMan

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 98 Durango in 2000. It has been the coolest vehicle we've ever had. It's a minivan on the inside and a 4x4 truck on the outside. We've had reasonable repairs....trans seal, axle seal, ball joints, battery, and brakes (new calipers and rotors). It now has 96,000 miles and starts and runs perfect. I can't say enough about it. It's just awesome. Our dog even likes it!

Totally awesome looking. 4x4 takes us up, over, and through just about anything. Excellent in the snow and ice with 4X4. Enough room for family of 5 to stretch out on road trips.

Not really anything. We get 11 - 12 mpg in town but I can't complain considering it has a V8 and 4x4 parts that add to the weight.

Decent SUV
By Derrik

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle has great pulling power and torque. Has some reliability issues but usually nothing major. Gas mileage is terrible. Nice to climb and mud in. I know several people that own Dodge 4x4 including some with Durangos and the general concensus is the transmissions tend to not last longer than 140k mi.

Overhead console display and excellent torque

Increase engine efficiency. Mirrors need to be smaller. They create a bad blind spot. Make transmission heavier duty.