Used 2006 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

average at best
By girzim20

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

had a problem with the radio as soon as i drove it off the lot. then afte a month of driving, as i was doing an oil change i noticed tranny fluid leaking. the seals had gone bad and i had to have a new torque converter installed. the vehicle had 6,000 miles on it at the time. fortunately it was covered under the warranty, but this has me concerned as to what else will go wrong in the near future. going over bumps, the truck looses grip of the road.

satilite radio, power seats, internal compass and outside temperature reader. fuel economy guage

better fuel efficiency, better transmission, more stability in the cabin. better road grip when going over bumps in the road.

Love the Looks
By RedBaron

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This was the truck I had been waiting for. Hated the nose design of the 1996-2005 [my prev. was a 1995 Dakota SLT]. This design is bold and clean. Interior is almost quiet, space is good, comfort is very good.. Fit & finish are great except for the body panels. Fenders to molded bumpers gap lets dirt, salt, mud flow thru. Got a cap on back and bed is fine & secure for most loads.

The exterior appearance is grand. Ride/comfort are nice. Handles well, w/wo a load. Quality seems good so far [9000 miles].

MPG is terrible for the 4.7L V-8, 14 mpg city, 17 mpg highway. Horn is useless. can never find the sweet spot to get any sound out of it.

Dakota
By ROB

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

A good sturdy truck. I was impressed when I towed an 6 yd tandem dumping trailer. I hauled topsoil for a couple of days with this rig. Most people put tonneau covers on their trucks and they become cars with poor mileage. Use your Dodge for what it was made for and you will be impressed.

I would like Dodge to put a small diesel motor in this truck without the added cost.I dont get why you have to charge 8000.00 extra {Canada} for a cummins engine. Motors are made from metal , whether its gasoline or diesel.

Back on the Road
By wrench1

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

After driving for 3600 miles I was hit by a Peterbuilt truck in rush hour last June 19th. Just got back yesterday afyet numerous repairs from accident. This truck saved my life as If I was hit in my car I would be dead. Only frame damage was left rear rail which was pulled back on fram machine. Outstanding crash protection. I walked away with no injury.

Exterior looks, overall size, solid frame towing ability, 4.7 engine

Different front shocks, change door speaker location higher up in cab, HD cooling system and larger mirrors should be standard on all V-8 models

Comfortable Ride
By Jesse

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

My 2000 Tundra was falling apart, and I wanted to buy a small new truck. The interior room is great for hauling the kids around. We have also taken a couple of 500 miles trips and the highway mileage and comfort are great. But, the get up and go is non-existent. I don't get in a hurry with this one. Also, it is hard to get aftermarket parts/mods for the truck. Overall, a good ride, but I wish I had looked a bit more.

Interior space and highway comfort.

Tune the tranny for the V6 better. It can be a dog to drive.