Used 2005 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Content in CT
By Neil in CT

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle for almost 2 years and I am very happy with my choice. It has been reliable and it drives really well for a pickup truck. The only downfalls about this truck are gas mileage and the cheap looking plastic interior. Although the gas mileage is not very good, I realize that pickup trucks are not the most economical vehicles on the road anyway. I also like the interior room and the Quad cab is a big bonus. Overall, I would recommend this vehicle to anyone interested in a mid-size pickup.

Quiet and comfortable ride. Interior room with the Quad Cab. Easy to use controls. Exterior styling

Need to upgrade interior, Improve gas mileage

I love this truck
By SixSpeedJunkie

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This truck is my first new vehicle, and it has turned out to be exactly what I wanted and needed. I have the six speed manual transmission which I love, sports package, and I got it in 2 wheel drive. The gas mileage is terrible, at 16mpg being the best I have gotten, but it's hard to stay off the gas when driving a truck that is this much fun.

6 speed manual transmission, crew cab, sliding rear window, cruise control, excellent exterior styling, V8 power

Would have been nice if they had offered the High Output engine with the manual transmission. Brakes failed at 5k miles, which took 4 trips to the dealership to fix. Bump steer is pretty bad, has a lot of body roll in corner

Good car, bad truck
By Nic

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is the least offroad capable four wheel drive truck I have ever used. The four wheel drive basically has a two wheel drive suspension that makes it sit so low to the ground that the ground clearance, approach angle and departure angle are most car-like than truck-like. If you never plan to leave the the road it is a capable vehicle that rides well, is comfortable, and tows well, but if you do avoid this truck like the plague.

Good highway ride, good torque. Bed is wide enough for a 4 wheeler.

The suspension needs a complete overhaul to qualify as a true four wheel drive truck suspension. It needs to sit at least 2-3 inches higher all around. Regular V8 needs more power.

Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
By Sean

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab last year 1/2005. I have had both shocks replaced, it has been realigned 5 times, I have had it stall numerous times at a stop lights, problems with the transmission (torque converter, valve body and front pump just replaced 38000 miles) and the EGR valve. It has a horrible ride to it and it is getting worse. I am very dissappointed with this vehicle and will never ever by another Dodge or American made vehicle.

Engine, nothing else

It would be a good idea for the engineers at Dodge to start over and redesign this poor excuse of a truck. I think they need focus on quality instead of how cheap they can make it.

2005 Dodge Dakota 4x4 SLT Quad Cab
By JCH

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

40000 miles. Original Goodyears gone, new Michelin LTA's should last longer. 8 oil changes and regular maintenance never let me down off road/on hwy/anywhere. Expecting 160,000 miles out of it before trading up. Would buy it again and would recommend it. Has good road manners. Gas mileage averages 18-19 miles-per-us- gallon. I do mostly highway driving.

V-8 torque and sound. Rear seat room actually fits adults. Can carry about a half yard in the box. Smooth ride on the highway

More aftermarket/factory accessories Engine oil drain plug location. I installed a Fumoto oil drain valve. Original tires had poor life