Used 2005 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

My truck
By meatman

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Truck is solid all around. Fun to drive and looks sharp. Is not to good on gas for a 6 cylinder, and does need some more power under the hood. Great in mud and sand. Towing power is not to bad for the size of the truck.

Looks, interior, and fun to drive.

Needs to be better on gas, and when you step on the gas it needs some more power behind it.

Unsafe to tow with
By michaellrar

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased this truck a year before I purchased the travel trailer I was going to pull behind it. Only made one trip with 24 foot travel trailer before parking the truck. Traveled from Little Rock, AR to Pigeon Forge, TN and back summer of 2006. It was the white knuckled trip from hell. The transmission and engine acted up the whole time I was pulling the trailer. Truck is rated for 7050 lbs and my trailer was 4000 lbs dry and 5100 lbs wet and loaded. Took it to the dealer 4 times to get it repaired. Each time they said there is nothing they could do. The 2008 model has the same engine but it is beefed up with more HP and torque but same towing limits. Hummm!

Great vehicle for a little old lady to drive to the store and back. Great sounding engine while idling.

Apparently they made some adjustments with the 2008 model since they screwed so many owners through 2007 with the wimpy engine and transmission. Gas mileage was only 6.9 mpg while towing and 18 mpg with driver and one passenger. This truck did not performed as guaranteed in the specs.

will never ever buy again!
By middletown n.y.

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

After 36,000 miles transmission went. Dealer fixed, went again, dealer fixed, went again dealer replaced. 6 months later transmission hose is leaking, EGR went, engine light on. Front suspension bushings gone no offroading so it squeaks all the way home, oh 1 more thing drivers side window just stopped working. Very bad investment!

The only good thing is not one thing at this point.

You got me with employee pricing, but it was really a smoke screen, like your new life time power train guarantee, another trick to keep people in the service department like people have nothing better to do, shame on you!. Never again would I buy you product.

Brake Issues since buying
By Rob

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have had nothing but problems with my '05 Dakota. I bought it used with 20,000 in April, 2007. I had problems with the brakes from the start. The dealer replaced the pads and machined the rotors in May, 2007. I have not put 8,000 miles on the pads and they are almost GONE!!!! I believe it is the calipers. They are not releasing and my pads are running on the rotors while I am driving. The brake dust on my wheels is incredible!!! I brought it to one dealer and they said the calipers were working fine. I am still covered by the factory warranty and they are giving me the run around. How else would brand new pads be worn completely down after less than 8,000 miles? Stay away from this truck!!

None

Brakes! Brakes! Brakes!

Not Bad - Could be better
By Jason

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Truck is great for storage, hauling (pulls my 20' boat with no problem), and has decent get up and go. Suspension is questionable. I just replace the tierod ends for the 2nd time since purchasing. Rear stabilizer bars need work also. Ground clearance is also a concern for a pickup. Fuel economy is worse than a lot of full-size trucks. I get roughly 13.5 in city and 16.5 on the highway if I am lucky.

Power for a midsize is great, only V8 in class. Quad cab is comfy, even for adults in the back. Towing capacity is also top notch for a midsize.

Suspension needs to be overhauled...new tie-rod ends, shocks, etc...need to go back to the drawing board. Fuel economy also needs improvement. It may be a V8, but it's also pulling a lot less weight around than full-size trucks.