Used 2004 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4WD SLT
By William Ryan

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

If I could get 10 more MPG out of this truck I would be happy. I love everything about it. If you live in a cold climate and you buy a Dakota Quad I would suggest getting the rear window defogger instead of the sliding rear window - you probably won't use the slider that much anyway.

Does its job
By Dakota Believer

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Wanted a Toyota Tacoma crew cab, but settled for the Dakota, and glad I did. The Tacoma does not have the room the Dakota has nor does it have the power. Happy with the Dakota, bought it used and wish I would have looked for one with more features.

The power is the best for this size truck. Toyota may have the name but Dakota has the power.

Gas mileage, you see the gas gauge move everytime you go to the corner store.

So Far, So Good
By terry jenkins

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well I just returned from a long trip and I averaged 26mpg from the 3.7LT! Not bad considering that others are paying close to 40k$ for hybrid SUVs that don’t get that!

The V-6! 4 wheel disc brakes

Daimler needs to offer a diesel engine in the Dakota! They have a 3.2 liter diesel that they put in the Mercedes vehicles. It gets over 30mpg and has 369ftlbs of torque. I would buy one tomorrow and so would many others that still think a real truck should be able to pull stumps up and sound tough!

Very happy
By Pjamas

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is our second Dakota, and very happy. 1st was a 2002 and am even happier with the 2004. Has needed no work other than normal maintenance and has always given me all the power I could need or want. There is tons of room in quad cab. We have two car seats in there with no problems and the back (with a cap) is great for towing strollers and such. Have fit three car seats, but wouldn't for everyday use. Truck still has lots of power for when we need to use it as a truck though. Have towed many things includling 15ft boats and even small exacvators with no problem. Nice to have a mid size for when you need the power sometimes but not everyday to justify a full-size.

Size. power, appearance, comfortable.

Great for trailer towing & fun
By larry Maddox

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I have a 26-ft travel trailer we pull 4-5,000 miles per year. This truck is great. Also, driving around town is fun. No mechanichal problems or warranty issues. This truck is our 4th Dakota and we plan to have many more.

Club cab plenty of room up front, fits 3 grandkids in back jumpseat, cargo bed has plenty of room without going to a full size truck

Factory tires are the worst (Goodyear Wrangler) they won't last.