Used 2004 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

It's a truck I'll miss
By 2lman

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Just traded in our 2004 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 w/4.7L V8. The only reason why, poor gas mileage. Other than that we love this truck, super super reliable! We bought it new, put 42k on it and only had to put on new tires and change fluids as recommended. No problems at all and would have kept it but with the kids all in school now, my wife wants to back to school and finish her degree and the school is about 45 miles away and with only getting 12 mpg cty and hwy, we did get 14 mpg once with a strong tail wind, when we tow our boat it was 10 mpg maybe 11 mpg. We are all going to miss this truck!!!!!! We bought an 08 Jeep Liberty to replace it.

Great looking, extremely reliable!!!! It took us anywhere/everywhere we wanted to go.

Better Fuel economy, and better tires from the factory would be nice

Couldn't be happier
By Happy Mopar Owner

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck 4 years ago and haven't had one single problem in 25,000 miles. Not a hiccup! This truck has great power and excellent interior size. I get compliments all the time on the power and overall build quality of this truck. It does ride like a truck, duh, but it's a solid ride that inspires confidence. This truck also handles corners with ease, it's even a 4 wheel drive! I would love to try out a R/T version!! My dad has an Avalanche and I would take this truck over his any day...so would he! The Dakota also does great offroad, I've been wheelin a lot in this truck. The only bad thing is gas mileage, but it's a V8 and I have a little lower gearing. It's a truck!

V8! I have the 3.92 gears so there's a little more pep in it's step! A ton, and I mean a ton of torque.

Nothing with Dodge, I just wish there were available lift kits for the 4x4 model. They only have body lifts unless you want to spend upwards of $2000!

The best truck we've owned
By moo

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This Dakota has best the best vehicle we've owned. In July, Savannah, GA flooded and we had to drive through the waters to get home. We have the 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT 2WD pickup. We were one of the only vehicles to make it out of the 4 foot running waters. We owe Dodge for our safety and their reliability.

37k mile review!
By teejay

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well here I am at 37k miles and so far not much to complain about. I did have one minor problem with a front stereo speaker going out, but Dodge replaced that quickly and without hesitation. I have rotated and checked my tire pressure religiously, but after only 37k I will need new tires soon. I will not go back with Goodyear. Other than that I am pleased with my purchase and hope to kept the truck for many years unless Dodge comes out with a diesel in the Dakota soon?

V-6 is fairly powerful and the ride is almost carlike!

Put better longer lasting tires on the vehicle. Goodyears have terrible treadwear. Only 360 utqr!

Great Truck
By Great Truck

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This truck performed beyond expectations and is comfortable to drive. Great truck except for the poor fuel efficiency

Engine performance, and the vehicle reliability and durability. This little V8 (4.7L) is a bull. Never took the vehicle back to the dealer for any repairs since purchased new. Good quality control in manufacturing.

Needs better fuel economy. Also needs a Flex Fuel and Managed Displacement System for the 4.7 Liter engine