Used 2003 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Fun Truck
By handyman

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck from a private owner with 63,000 miles on it. Starts and rides like a new vehicle. Only problem I found was a warped front brake disk. Since grinding it no more clicks. Use it every day and sometimes overloaded, full or empty runs all the same. Fuel efficency is lousy (14 mpg) and A/C only cools to 48 F, which is within specs but in summery Florida we need all the cooling you can get. Overall highly satisfied

Power. Roomy interior. Good finish

Improve fuel consumption. Colder A/C. It feels as if the transmission could upshift at lower speeds (perhaps this would improve mileage a little)

2003 Dakota SXT Regular Cab
By consultfirst

2003 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Fun truck to drive with the 5-speed manual transmission. Truck is perfect size between compact and full size. Too bad they stopped making the regular cab version.

5-speed manual transmission makes it fun to drive.

Cab needs a little more room for 6- footers.

Dakota drives and tows just fine
By gretjns

2003 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2003 Dakota new and have used it to tow a pop-up camper (3500-4000lbs) all over the midwest and points N&S. Minimal & routine service until 60k miles when f&r main seals had to be replaced along with AC head, thermostat, and a front wheel bearing which was loose. Otherwise it's been a dream. Drives great, lots of interior room and cargo capacity. Handles well and looks great. Extended warranty is a lifesaver. I'll buy another when I wear this one out.

Hard tonneau. Car ride. Towing capacity. Price, Trip computer - I love the built in compass, thermometer, gas mileage, miles till empty.

Gas mileage. Turning radius is a little short. I kind of miss having the rear view mirror ability to manually flip to night when the guy behind you has his chrome pointed in your rearview.

'03 Dakota
By tommy

2003 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our '03 Dakota Reg. Cab SXT RWD for $13K. It was a nice "beater" car for my dad for work. But we have clocked on average of 12-15 mpg city and probably 19 highway. We had to replace the tires at 20k and then again and 45k. We were in a minor car accident with it where we tapped the back of another car on a freeway ramp, and it caused $400 damage. The plastic hood-release lever, broke off and had to get it replaced. The A/C conked out when he had 100-degree plus weather, which we took the repair shop and he found out that not only the cooling pump was shot but there was a cylinder- 6 miss-fire which could've been dangerous if it died on the highway.

Standard non-Magnum V6 engine gets the job done, CD player

Reduce the weight of the tailgate. (cause of such horrible gas mileage) DaimlerChrysler needs better build quality.

2003 Dakota SXT
By GT

2003 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Great truck. Had over three years with no problems in 28,900 miles. Original brakes and tires. Decent gas mileage for a 2WD, approximately 19-21 MPG on the highway.

Styling, inside and out

Wish I could have more horsepower