Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Gotta love a Dodge
By Andy

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Have been thoroughly pleased with this truck with only minor exceptions. This truck drives, handles, and tows exceptionally. I've used it to haul cars, trucks, boats, campers, and my family without fail.

Engine

The A/C system is the biggest flaw I see with this truck...not cold enough for FL heat. I'm also disappointed that the sealed front bearings on the 2wd are not covered under my 7/100 extended warranty. They are not serviceable, wear quickly and are costly to replace...$300+ ea. at dealer.

Nice Truck/Family Car
By Dean

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first car/truck I ever purchased new (right off the showroom floor)This truck has been very good to me. The only issue I have had with it was a starter that went out however the dealer fixed under warranty and have done nothing more then change the oil, put gas in it and drive. Although the box is fairly small it had been fine for me. If you plan to hall large planks of lumber you may want a p/u with a longer bed as 5 & 1/2 foot is not all that usesfull. Fuel economy has held pretty strong around the low 20's. Expecting much more then that from a truck is not really all that practical unless your comparing to a 4cyl S-10 or Ranger.

Overall the whole thing. It's an ideal truck for a young family that needs a truck to haul the larger purchases and projects. Great style and easy to drive.

Nothing real major would like a second power outlet. Word of caution if you put ventshades on the front doors you dramatically increase a potential blind spot.

Dodge Ain't What It Used to Be
By BK Lawson

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Buying this truck was the worst vehicular mistake I've ever made in my life. In the first 6 months, the truck had more problems than the last 3 vehichles I've owned all put together! What was the most shocking was Daimler/Chrysler's "We don't care!" attitude, resulting in my having to go to a lawyer to try and get some kind of satisfaction over what has been the most unreliable, annoying, untrustable truck I have EVER seen in my life! Then, of course, the warranty- there's always a way out for them so they don't have to honor it. Cheap parts, shabby construction, little to no inspection of finished product. My advice? Don't buy a Dodge truck. They sure aren't what they used to be

It looks nice, sitting still and not running.

Glad I Bought
By New Fan

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

We needed the functionality of a truck, but also needed to carry four or more people. I spent many months researching and driving different trucks which would fill our needs included the 05 Tacoma, 05 Frontier, Sportrac, Colorado, and S-10, but I kept coming back to the Dakota. Reasons: solid feel, comfortable interior, tight turning radius, looks, power, pleasant ride, and plentiful options. We have not been disapointed. We knew that we would be sacrificing fuel economy, but it is still better than full size trucks. Though used with over 55K miles, it still feels new and other than a loose gas cap, have not had any problems.

True midsize, tight turning radius, very comfortable interior, and great looks.

Two spead rear-end to improve fuel economy when not towing.

MLW Dakota
By MLW

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Overall this is a great truck. I bought it to pull a 3 place snowmobile trailer and it does a good job, however it needs different gearing. It always hunts for the correct gear between 55- 65 mph under or over that speed seems ok, plus the gas mileage when towing is poor at best. Otherwise, it's has been a reliable truck, and I would buy another!

4wd with posi-traction