Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Dakota R/T
By Dakota R/T

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have the R/T and obviously love the power. It is only rated for towing 2,000 pounds, but I've towed well over 3,500 pounds without any problems running the air conditioning full blast while driving up the mountains in the summertime. However, I've had lots of electrical problems, and the truck has broken down on me in the middle of the Arizona desert. In addition, I get 12 mpg in the city and 15 on the freeway.

Best truck ever
By SUPERDAK

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Best truck ever. Combination of power (4.7L V-8) and comfort. I can carry five easily with plenty of leg room. I pull a 3800lbs travel trailer and can do 55 up the steepest hills. Stability is great. Reliability has been excellent. Did have to replace the drivers side window motor/assembly at 80,000 miles.

The 4.7L V-8. Strong engine with great acceleration. Zero maintenance other than standard oil changes and lubricant top-offs. I have never had to add oil between changes at every 3000 miles. Zero oil consumption

2WD Extended Cab SLT Dakota
By John

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Has been a great truck, and other than normal wear parts,(brakes, tires, etc...) I have had nothing wrong with it. Still drives like the day I got it.

Driving position is very comfortable, especially for a truck.

Has the 3.9L V6. Pick up is a little sluggish on the highway, especially between 50-65 MPH. Over 65 acceleration is fine. I think the overdrive just kicks in a little too soon.

3.9 Auto Quad Cab
By Girraween

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought our Dakota brand new as our first new vehicle. We have been quite happy with the room and reliability of this truck. Because we have three girls 6 and under, we have the base model and we don't think we have suffered at all. We have traveled cross country twice with no problems. Aside from a few warranty items I have not had any major problems with this truck.

Room and comfort.

2001 Quad Cab SLT 2WD
By T Chezem

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent truck overall. Dodge could do better with their fuel consumption...for the size of the truck. It gets 15 around town and 17 on the freeway; nowhere near Dodge's MPG ratings. Good cargo capacity and towing as well. Overall a great truck, just make sure you are ready for poor MPG, especially with the 4.7 V8. A well put together truck with great options and interior layout.

Perfect size bed for a compcact to mid size truck.

Dodge could really improve the Dakota by offering the diesel engine in it; the same one made by Mercedes that they are putting in the new Libertys in 2005.