Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

4.7 engine bad Tranny worse
By mike

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Truck has only 52000 miles on it. Has electrical problems and the tranny slips and jerks like there is no tomorrow. With mileage this low I should have no problems, I take very good care of my vehicles. I was extremely disappointed. I traded it in yesterday!

Looks good

Redesign power train and electrical

Get up N Go
By Rob

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I just got rid of my 5.7 04 Tahoe which was slower than a slug. I am so impressed by my 4.7 in the pickup that I added a cat back dual exhaust to help it breath. This truck flies and handles great. I do a lot of highway driving and noticed over 15 mpg. I will add a cold air box to see if I can improve this. The interior is comfortable to me. I have wanted one of these for years and am so delighted I bought it. The rear drive window did not work but the dealer fixed it. I noticed the pass door window not working at times, seems to be a very common problem on these trucks.

A mighty V-8 and 4 doors to fit 5 people in.

Besides fuel economy,automatic headlights would have been nice...

Love my RaiderMobile
By DaveG

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but good luck with my truck. She's never broken down and always taken me wherever I asked her to go, I'll keep this truck forever!

I really do like the trip computer/thermometer

Better stock speakers, I've worn them out already.

Good first
By Evan V

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We got this with 29k miles for $7700 because it had blemishes in the hood paint from overwaxing and engine heat, and had a crappy bed cover. The computer that ran the lighting system broke the day we got it, and the passenger's window button didn't work. But those were easily replaced. This is my first vehicle, I like it because it is as big as the car I trained in, and has a bed for my fishing stuff. I had to buy new tailgate cables, as someone cut them. I also bought a locking gas cap for $15 and it fits, never too careful with gas at 4$ a gallon.

Bed length, engine, brakes, steering

standard locking tailgate, better air intake, heat shield for hood, and lighter colored controls, its hard to see the controls in an all black interior at night.

Still happy after 7 years
By bluedak

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought truck new in sept. 2001, at current have 61k on it. Love the looks, comfort, and power of the truck. It has had a small share of problems: currently on it's third set of rotors for warping and corrosion, also has had its share of electrical glitches and a power steering leak etc, but has never left me stranded. Current issues occurring now are: vib/ noise from pass front wheel, and a sticky caliper. Just problems develop as a a vehicle ages. Still love the truck, and would keep it indefinitely but I need the passenger space of a crew cab.

Looks of the 97-2004 body design,comfort, and overall power/mpg of the 4.7 v8 (16 mpg avg lifetime)

Need to improve quality of rotors, chassis parts: ball joints,wheel bearings, etc. and electrical.