Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Not my idea of a car
By enrique

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 4dr Crew Cab SB

My model of the Dakota has constantly made a grinding sound at high speeds when moving towards the left. Also, it occasionly pulls to the right. The car is pretty nice but mostly the only thing wrong is the gas mileage that it trails. it is horrible. A semi gets better. It doesn't have much horsepower but it does the job. Also, I tried pulling out a tree with small roots and the car had trouble. I believe that my 95 Isuzu Trooper would have been more competent for the task.

The AC, radio, dashboard, external design and comfort.

Lighten the load of the engine making it more effective in the city because that is really what people would buy one for.

Dakota
By william

2000 Dodge Dakota 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love this truck. It's comfortable. It's also the most aggressive looking midsized/mini truck out there. I love it.

The exhaust, makes it sound almost as aggressive as an 8 (if you have the 3.9)

Dodge Dakota Quad V6 4X4
By Dave

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

The interior is roomy and the rear seats are comfortable. Exterior styling is great and gets a lot of compliments. Performance is fair to poor. 15.5 mpg with A/C, less in winter in 4wd. Transmission performance is poor, shifts very hard when accelerating uphill. The truck seems to bounce down the road. I won't buy another Dodge truck.

Exterior styling and interior space.

Needs retooled transmission and suspension.

Dodge Dakota Quad Cab V8
By JC

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 4dr Crew Cab SB

Great vehicle overall. Used mostly for trips to the local Home Depot but can still comfortably seat 4 for family trips. Plus package with 4.7 V8 and wide tires makes for plenty of acceleration and good handling. Fun to drive, quick and sure-footed.

I routinely load up the bed and the truck barely notices the extra weight. Quick off the line and good exhaust note.

Replaced warped front rotors twice before installing aftermarket Brembo discs. May be a design flaw or under-engineered. Otherwise no issues.

Dakota 4WD
By james

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The 2000 model Dodge Dakota is a nice powerful little truck. The truck that I have has the upgraded 4.7L V8 option. The independent front suspension was not designed to greatley. I own an ATV which is older and has same type of suspension and takes way more abuse than my truck and has still outlived it and outdone it. The small V8 doesn't have the enough stock power. After I added dual exhaust and a K&N upgrade, it performed more to my approval. The 4wd needs to come with extra stock lift like the full size 4wd's. The transmission I have is a standard, and it doesn't have the strangth to handle the V8's power. A heavier duty transmission is a must, possibly even a 6-speed.

My truck came with a KC light and light bar package. I especially liked this feature. The shift on the fly 4wd was also nice with no hubs to get out and lock. The posi-tract rear end was also great. All of the power options was also a great feature.

The rear seat needs some kind of storage behind it, not just underneath. I would prefer a little bit wider truck. Also maybe a little more leg room in the front seats. I think the V8 needs a little more stock power.