Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Great Homeowner's Truck
By RICK

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a great truck for the family who has a home to maintain. With 70k miles, I've replaced tires, front hubs and brakes, battery, and gas cap. Reliable and economical (19-22 avg. MPG). I have a bed liner and cover which have served well. The jump seats are great for young people or short trips as well as letting you lock up purchases. With the V-6 I've never had a power problem with heavy loads. Seats are comfortable for "long trips".

Seven year old truck that still looks pretty good, drives well and gets better-than-average mileage. Virtually no mechanical problems except that I had to replace hubs due to a bad wheel bearing.

Better quaity control on paint. I'm going to have to have the roof repainted soon as the primer is showing through.

Great Buy
By gwashy

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this vehicle for the utility of a truck, but what I got was a vehicle that handles great and has been a great buy for the money. Outside of a recall on the ball joints, I have not had any issues at all. A highly reliable vehicle that handles/performs well and is sporty. The V6 engine has plenty of get up and go and proves to have plenty of torque with a bed full of anything. The interior is comfortable, but can feel a bit "cheap". The interior components tend to move around in the assembled condition and do not fit snugly. Also, the dash features feel hollow and do not give a robust feel. With the interior my only concern, I am quite satisfied and would buy it again anyday.

Came with a handling package that gave a 3.55 gear ratio and wide, larger tires. Larger Bed for a smaller truck

More robust feel to the interior.

I Like It
By Cypress Driver

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

It's been a great truck. There are times where I wish I had the 4.7 instead of the 5.9, but other than that, I can't complain. The only major problem I've had with it was the transmission went out at around 60K. I took it to Powertrain Development and they told me it was most likely not assembled correctly at the factory because of the way it failed.

Don't know that there is any one favorite. It's the whole package. Maybe the 4x4 shift lever since this is the only year the QuadCab had it.

Auto headlights, auto A/C

My little Dakota R/T
By Paul Baldozier

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a very fun little truck to have. It is a sport truck so the ride is a little stiff but that is to be expected from a performance model. This seems to be a well built truck, I haven't had a single problem with it in the little over a year that I have owned it. At this point and time the only thing that I wish was better about the truck would be better gas mileage at highway speeds, in town seems to be consistent and in my opinion not to bad for a large 5.9L V8. If Dodge would of went with 3.73 or 3.55 gears the motor would be at a much happier RPM for high way speeds.

That large 5.9L engine, and the auto controls on the steering wheel.

Highway mileage.

Fuel Pig
By opie

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

11 MPG Highway, replaced (at my cost) engine at 60000 miles, all servicing done by Dodge, as per Owner's Manual. Using Dodge Syn oil. Four sets of Dodge front shocks in 70,000 Miles, spring booster overloades needed to level drooping rear end

Good radio