Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

New little red truck
By dodgemanchris

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

It is a good truck. Looks great on the road. Handling is unreal, sometimes I forget I am in a truck. Also have not had a lot of problems out of it. Tire size is a little odd, so prices are kind of high. But when it handles that good, it evens out. Overall,it is a good truck that you can do light work with in the day, and then a night take your girl out on the town. Trust me,she will ask to drive.

Power, in a small truck. Motor loves up- grades.

Different tires

Great Truck
By Mike

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck used in '05 with 64,000 miles and have loved it ever since. Now has 94,000 on it and only problem I've had is a hub bearing went bad. I do drive this truck hard at times and it has never let me down. Love the size and comfort. Fits two baby seats in the back and still has enough room for a small adult to fit back there comfortably.

V-8, great in snow/mud, interior size and comfort, exterior design

Only one I can think of is gas mileage, but hey, I didn't buy a 4x4, 6100lb truck for gas mileage

Dodge has the power
By SLT magnum

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 4dr Crew Cab SB

The Dakota demands respect. Acceleration is instant and commanding. The beauty and style are remarkable and I get a lot of positive comments on my taste in vehicles.

Cruise, 5-speed transmission, gauges, comfort.

A good truck
By bill

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had this truck for a few years now. I bought it with 130,000 miles on it ( I know foolish?) but now with over 290,000 if have had only a few problems with this truck. Mostly expected (power steering pump, alternator, front wheel bearings, and u joint) not too bad for a truck with almost 300,000 miles. It has the 3.9l engine and it still gives me enough power for living in western PA. I am looking to replace it and will look into another Dodge

I like the looks and the interior is nice if not plush. It does the job

My model is only the 2door and now they have the 4door that is nice,but i do not like the new style they have. I like the older smoother look of the 2000 and not the sharper style of the 2006

Does the job, but not the best
By Mike

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Regular cab is cramped for larger drivers. If you're over 6' and/or 200lbs (I'm both) it's uncomfortable. Ride is nice on smoother roads, very stable at hi speed. Gets very harsh over poorly maintained roads. Handles tight for a truck, but stock braking is not good. I highly recommond upgraded pads/rotors. Fuel economy is so-so, only 1-2mpg better than a V8. V6's power is OK. Will tow anything you ask it to, and pulls hard off the line, but passing power on the highway is a bit weak. Clutch is heavy and "grabby", but strong. Seems I'm one of the few Dakota owners who didn't wind up with a lemon. Rotors warped at 27k, AC relay went at 35k, AC compressor went at 55k, and that's it. 60k trouble-free miles.

Full size towing/hauling ability. Handles better on dry pavement than any other truck I've driven. Great torque from literally idle to about 2500rpm and decent mid-range. Nice shifter feel

Full-size fuel economy. Cramped interior. Wet/snow handling is horrible. Atrocious ride on rough roads. Stock braking ability is scary-bad. Poor higher-rpm power. It begins "wheezing out" near 4000rpm.By 4500rpm, the party's over.