Used 1999 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

A solid pickup and nice to drive
By JBsDak

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Only owning this truck for a year, I can't really say how reliable it's been before me, but it feels like it's been well maintained, has 100K miles now. It is a great vehicle to drive, it feels like a bigger vehicle than it really is and very comfortable and plenty of power. I have had to put all new ball joints on it but that is one of the common problems with Dakotas, the gas mileage is pretty poor, about 15 mpg but it has a 5.2 L V8, you want great gas mileage buy something else, though I understand the newer V6 gets close to 20 mpg. It would probably be smarter get the V6 as the V8 is more power than most people need. Anyway I love this truck and would buy a new one if could afford to.

size, comfort, good looks, fun to drive

longer life ball joints, better headlights

Problems, Problems, Problems
By martinex

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I owned a 97 Dakota 2WD V8 prior to buying this one. I loved it. It got reasonable gas mileage (around 20mpg) and would leap off the line. My only problem was with all that torque (and crappy Goodyear Wranglers), the truck would spin out on slick pavement. My solution was to get a 99 Dakota Sport with the same 5.2 liter engine and 4WD. Whooboy! First of all the extra weight of the transmission drastically cut down on performance. Secondly gas mileage dropped significantly (of course) but what was most disturbing was the repair costs. Engine, suspension, electrical...you name it. All within the first 20,000 miles.

Good (not great) pickup. Short turning radius. Best handling truck I've ever driven.

The mopar battery was a constant source of problems. Recommend replacing it immediately.

Solid Truck Great Value
By Boney15

1999 Dodge Dakota 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned my Dakota for five years now. Bought it with 26000 miles, now has 64000. Only thing I have replaced has been the battery. Haven't replaced a single other thing. Not a u joint, ball joint, brake pad, muffler, anything! Here's the best part. I also plow my snow with it up here in Michigan's upper peninsula. We get around 250" of the white stuff every winter so I use it a lot. I have a Blizzard 720LT plow for it and it pushes all the snow you'd ever want. People think that using your truck to plow snow is too hard on them, but not my Dakota. I know many guys with Fords and Chevys who plow and they're always getting something fixed. They quality of this truck has been superb!

Superior quality. Great looks. Decent fuel economy.

No third door to access rear seat. Larger than usual blind spots with this truck.

Pretty darn good so far
By Madfison-Mig

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Found a gem on craigslist last March and bought a 99 Dakota sport extended cab with 17k original miles (hard to believe but true). All good so far - driven it 5K miles in 9 months and a few oil changes is all the maintenance/repairs thus far. Winter has hit here in WI and an extra 300-400 pounds in the back and traction in manageable around town. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired but I knew that buying a truck. Mine has topper and bedliner and is pretty basic (no power windows or locks - am/fm stereo). Great to haul the kids baseball gear around in the summer and help friends move stuff when they ask!

Rear seats that face forward as opposed to the inside on other extended cab trucks. Center console/armrest is a nice touch and interior seems to be holding up well.

Better gas mileage, factory stereo is plain but works. Going to add a Yakima bike/gear rack to the topper in the spring.

Dakota 4Cyl
By DMS

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my Dodge Dakota with 70,000 miles on it. I jumped into buying it. It has the 2.5 L 4 cylinder engine that is expected to carry over 3500 pounds. I have a difficult time getting up to speed and fill I am going to get run over. And with a 4 cylinder I only average 18 mpg that is unbelievably low. But besides having no power, the truck has needed both upper and lower ball joints, radiator at 80,000 miles, the crankshaft sensor at 85,000 miles, the front seal went out at 91,000 miles so I spent over 1,200 dollars in two years in repairs. But at the moment I have 107,000 miles on it and it is finally running good, but I am still not getting anywhere fast.

Interior comfort,and body style

Better suspension, better power, Lower engine noise, better A/C.